The mission of Southern University and A & M College, a historically Black, 1890 land-grant institution, is to provide opportunities for a diverse student population to achieve a high-quality global educational experience, to engage in scholarly research, creative activities, and to give meaningful public service to the community, the state, the nation, and world so that Southern University graduates are competent, informed, and productive citizens.
The Mandela School of Public Policy's mission is to prepare our students for leadership roles in the public and private sectors of society by pursuing a five-fold mission:
- Promote the creation of knowledge of public policy and to disseminate knowledge of public policy to students, public policy professionals, and citizens to enable them to make positive impacts on communities, states and regions, the Nation, and the international community
- Foster excellence in education in public policy analysis and management in an interdisciplinary framework
- Engage faculty, staff, and students in ongoing relationships with the public and private sectors in order to impact the critical issues facing society
- Prepare leaders for the public and non-profit sectors by means of curricular and extra-curricular programs
- Engage public officials, representatives of public groups and citizens in dialog, deliberations, and action to improve the performance of democratic governance
If you are a prospective student, I am pleased that you are contemplating Southern University. Our primary goal is to assist you in achieving your academic and professional career options by providing valuable information regarding our graduate and undergraduate programs in the Nelson Mandela School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs. We prepare our students to compete in a complex and competitive world where they must be well-educated and competent employees. If you decide to enroll in one of the Mandela school's academic programs, you will take advantage of completing interesting and challenging courses that are taught by experienced faculty members who are committed to academic success. You will have opportunities to gain knowledge, necessary skills and experience in class room settings and in online offerings, as well as participation in our internship programs. As a graduate, you will join alumni around the globe who serve as leaders primarily in the non-profit and public sectors.
If you are a member of our alumni, I encourage you to connect or reconnect with us by email (email@example.com). You are an important part of the Mandela school's family. I hope you will visit our website as well as encourage potential students to explore what Southern University and A&M College as well as the Nelson Mandela School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs has to offer.
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically...Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Martin L. King, Jr.