Adjunct Professor of Chemistry
Bachelor of Engineering: University of Fukui (Japan), Department of Material Science and Engineering, 2004
Ph.D.: University of Florida, Department of Chemistry, 2009
Office: 215 Fisher Hall
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Web Page Links:
Our research group focuses on utilizing chemical treated cotton textile for various applications, particularly flame resistant textile. The US law requires the flame resistant properties on apparel or house hold items to prevent/minimize the fire damage. Cotton fabrics are flammable and generally require chemical treatment to decrease its flammability. In the development of flame retardant fabrics, many halogenated chemicals have been introduced to treat with cotton fabrics to increase its flame resistance. However, a recent industrial interest of flame retardants is to reduce halogen content in flame retardants due to environmental safety. In our research group, we are interested in design, synthesis, and characterization of new flame retardant for the application onto cotton fabrics and understanding its flame resistant performance.
Figure 1: (a) untreated cotton and (b)-(d) flame retardant-treated cotton with different chemical loads
Our research also focuses on how the flame retardant covalently bond to the fabrics. Our previous research found that flame retardant performance of the compound was enhanced when the chemical was covalently bonded to the cotton fabrics. The char formation mechanism caused by the phosphorylation of the C6 hydroxyl group is believed to slow down the pyrolysis process and increase the FR property of cotton fabrics by preventing the formation of levoglucosan. (Figure 2).
Awards and Honors:
· Crow-Starch Award (2009)
· Annual Florida Heterocyclic Conference Poster Award (2007)
· Mike Collins Scholarship Award (2006)
1. Nguyen, T.-M., Chang, S., Condon, B., Slopek, R., Graves, E., Yoshioka-Tarver, M. (2013) Structual effect of phophoramidate derivatives on the thermal and flame retardant behaviors of treated cotton cellulose, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 52, 4715-4724.
2. Yoshioka-Tarver, M; Condon, B. D.; Santiago Cintón, M.; Chang, S.; Easson, M. W.; Fortier, C. A.; Madison, C.; Bland J. M., Nguyen, T.-M. D. (2012) Enhanced Flame Retardant Property of a Fiber Reactive Halogen-Free Organophosphorus, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 51, 11031-11037.
3. Yoshioka-Tarver, M; Condon, B. D.; Easson, M. W.; Nam, S.; Fortier, C. A.; Madison, C.; Ingber, B. (2012) Influence of N-P Base Fiber Reactive Organophosphorus Flame Retardant on the Thermal Behavior, AATCC Review, 9-10, 51-56.
4. Easson, M., Condon, B., Yoshioka-Tarver, M., Childerss, S., Slopek, R., Bland, J., Nguyen, T.-M., Cheng, S., Graves, E. (2011) Synthesis, Spectroscopic Analyses, and Flammability Testing of Cyanuric Chloride Derivatives for Application to Cotton Textiles, AATCC Review, 11(6), 60-66.
5. Easson, M. W., Condon, B. D, Dien, B. S. Iten, L., Slopek, R., Yoshioka-Tarver, M., Smith, J., Lambert, A. (2011) The application of Ultrasound in the Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Switchgrass, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 165 (5-6), 1322-1331.
6. Nam, S.; Parikh, D. V.; Condon, B. D.; Zhao, Q.; Yoshioka-Tarver, M. (2011) Importance of Poly(ethylene glycol) Conformation for the Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles in Aqueous Solution, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 13 (9), 3755-3764.
7. Katritzky, A. R., Yoshioka-Tarver, M. El-Gendy, B. E.-G. M., Hall, C. D. (2011) Synthesis and Photochemistry of pH-Sensitive GFP Chromophore Analogus, Tetrahedron Letters, 52 (17), 2224-2227.
8. Katritzky, A. R., Singh, A., Haase, D. N., and Yoshioka, M. (2009) Preparation of N-(Fmoc-α-aminoacyl)benzotriazoles: Versatile Synthetic Reagents from the Proteinogenic Amino Acids, ARKIVOC, viii, 47-56.
9. Katritzky, A, R., Yoshioka, M., Narindoshvili, T., Chung, A., and Khashab, N. M. (2008) N-Fmoc-Protected(α-dipeptidoyl)benzotriazoles for Efficient Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis by Segment Condensation, Chemical Biology and Drug Design, 72 (3), 182-188.
10. Katritzky, A. R., Yoshioka, M., Narindoshvili, T., Chung, A, and Johnson, J. V. (2008) Solid Phase Fluorescent Labeling of Peptides, Organic and Bimolecular Chemistry, 6 (24), 4582-4586.
11. Tokunaga, Y., Yoshioka, M., Nakamura, T., Goda, T., Nakata, R., Kakuchi, S., and Shimomura, Y. (2007) Do Dibenzo[22-30]crown Ethers Bind Secondary Ammonium Ions to Form Pseudorotaxanes?, Bulletin of Chemical Society of Japan, 80 (7), 1377- 1382.
12. Katritzky, A. R., Khashab, N. M., Haase, D. N., Yoshioka, M., Ghiviriga, I., and Steel, P. J. (2007) C-Aminoimidoylation and C-Thiocarbamoylation of Esters, Sulfones, and Ketones, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 72 (18), 6742 - 6748.
13. Katritzky, A. R., Khashab, N. M., Yoshioka, M., Haase, D. N., Wilson, K. R., Johnson, J. V., Chung, A., and Haskell-Luevano, C. (2007) Microwave-Assisted Solid-Phase Peptide Synthesis Utilizing N-Fmoc-Protected (α-aminoacyl)benzotriazoles, Chemical Biology and Drug Design, 70 (5), 465-468.
14. Katritzky, A. R., Khashab, N. M., Bobrov, S., and Yoshioka, M. (2006) Synthesis of Mono- and Symmetrical Di-N-hydroxy-and N-Aminoguanidines, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 71 (18), 6753-6758.
15. Tokunaga, Y., Nakamura, T., Yoshioka, M., and Shimomura, Y. (2006) A molecular switch based on acid and base promoted, cation governed binding in a crown ether threaded rotaxane, Tetrahedron Letters, 47 (33), 5901-5904.