Executive Master of Public Administration
EXECUTIVE MASTER OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION (EMPA)
The Online Executive Master of Public Administration (EMPA) is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration. This program is designed specifically for those who already have professional and public sector experience, who are striving for a higher level of education which may provide more opportunities to grow, to work and serve in the public sector.
An EMPA applicant must hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a minimum 2.7 cumulative undergraduate G.P.A., though a G.P.A. of 3.0 is preferred.
Applicants must have at least three (3) years of middle to upper level professional, managerial, supervisory, or combined work experiences. Two out of the three years must be within the public sector (government and/or non-profit organization). Middle to upper level managerial experience includes positions such as, but not limited to, directors, assistant directors, high-level technical staff, senior managers, project/program managers.
An EMPA applicant must hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. The applicant will have at least five years of professional/managerial experience (middle-to-upper level managerial experience), with at least three years in the public sector (government and/or non-profit organization). Middle-to-upper level managerial experience includes public sector and non-profit related experience positions such as, but not limited to, directors, assistant directors, high-level technical staff, senior managers, project/program managers.
A minimum 2.7 cumulative undergraduate G.P.A. is required, G.P.A. 3.0 is preferred. No preferred undergraduate major or no pre-requisite coursework is required; however, it is recommended that students be familiar with economics, statistics, and basic tasks and functions in Microsoft Office applications.
- 1. A GRE score of 700 + (old score) or at least score in the 40th percentile on both verbal and quantitative (new score)
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae with three professional references (past and present supervisors).
- A writing sample that demonstrates scholarly, objective research on any topic in APA citation style. The sample should be no more than three pages and should include a reference page, also in APA format.
- A cover letter describing the applicant's professional/managerial experience, expressing the applicant's interest in the EMPA degree based on those experiences, and detailing how the applicant meets the requirements for admissions.
- A personal statement that discusses how the applicant will likely benefit from the EMPA degree. The applicant should also discuss the skills, characteristics, and other strengths which the student brings into the program and, if selected, the applicant expects to contribute to the professional development of the class.
- Three letters of reference from professional sources that attest to the applicant's professional qualifications, experience, and potential for executive leadership.