B.S. and M.S. Programs
The focuses of the programs are to prepare our student to:
- Meet the standards for the National Certification examination to become a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist.
- Assess the need for the therapeutic recreation intervention and leisure pursuits.
- Plan and evaluate individuals programs and treatment
- Direct outreach, advocacy, public relations, and consultative activities.
- Actively engage in professional activities
- Identify and use resources specific to the locale of clients.
- Design and implement continuous quality improvement experiences in therapeutic and leisure services.
Required courses included in the undergraduate curricula are:
200 Introduction to Leisure
202 Introduction to TR
245 legal Foundation of Leisure
293 TR intervention Strategies
300 Principals of Leadership
301 General Program Planning
304 TR Program Planning
310 Internship Seminar
340 Recreation Skills
356 TR Assessment & Evaluation
401 Counseling and Management of camping
402 Management of TR Services
403 Outdoor Recreation
409 Management of Aquatics
465 Social Recreation
Selected courses in psychology, physical education, computer sciences and health are required.
Required coursed included in the Graduate curriculum are:
Three undergraduate courses are required prior to completing the graduate program, to qualify to sit for the therapeutic recreation certification examination. These are: 1) Human Anatomy and Physiology, 2) Developmental Psychology, and 3) Abnormal Psychology. These three courses are also prerequisites for TRLS 513 Practicum in Therapeutic Recreation.
501 Advanced Program Planning
502 Recreation for the Disable
507 Education for Leisure
512 Leisure Counseling
513 Practicum in Therapeutic Recreation
515 Therapeutic Recreation Seminar
516 Management of T.R. Services
524 Problems in Recreation
526 Recreation for Senior Citizens
599 Project I
504 Principles and Practices of LREC Services*- (For student with
undergraduate degree in T.R.)
Statistics Elective (500 level course)
Open Elective (500 level course)