Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College

Share Print Page Decrease Type Size Increase Type Size TEXT SIZE:


Teacher Education Scholarship

The College of Education at Southern University is offering scholarships to students majoring in teacher education.

The Teacher Education Program's purpose is to produce teacher candidates who will obtain a Bachelor's degree from Southern University (Baton Rouge) and become certified teachers for the state. Teacher Education Scholarship Program recipients must teach elementary, middle, secondary or special education on a full-time basis on a Louisiana state approved public or non-public school for a period of four years.

Prospective candidates must submit a completed application packet including:

  • A minimum ACT score of 22 (or a comparable SAT score of 1030 verbal & math)
  • A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
  • Evidence of community involvement/extra curricular activities
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Statement of educational goals

Selection Process
Each applicant will be selected according to the criteria listed below.  Points will be awarded in each category.

  • Statement of educational goals
  • GPA
  • ACT/SAT Scores
  • Community involvement/extra curricular activities
  • Two (2) letters of recommendation

The Retention Criteria

  • Maintain cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above
  • Maintain full-time enrollment status (12 hours minimum)
  • Meet PRAXIS requirements at various transition points

Southern University, Baton Rouge, is accredited by the:
The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, GA  30033-4097
(404) 676-4501

The College of Education is fully accredited by the following organizations:

  • Louisiana State Department of Education
  • National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education

Honor Societies in the College of Education

  • Kappa Delta Pi
  • Kappa Phi Kappa

Click on the link below to open the Scholarship Application, then print, fill-out, and turn it in to the College of Education Main Office.

Scholarship Application