Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College

Share Print Page Decrease Type Size Increase Type Size TEXT SIZE:

Baranco-Hill Student Health Center


Health Center FAQ

Q:   Where is the Student Health Center located?
Student Health Services
Baranco-Hill Health Center
P.O. Box 10174
Helen Barron Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70813
(225)  771-4770  Phone
(225)  771-6225   Fax

Q:  Who is eligible for Student Health Services?
All students who are assessed a health services fee are eligible for services.  The health fee is automatically paid along with tuition and fees.  This fee entitles students to physician and nurse practitioner visits and all medications stocked by the pharmacy.   The student's current identification card must be presented upon request for services.  Part-time graduate students are not assessed a health services fee and therefore are not eligible to receive health services.

Q:  What are the hours?
Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Women's Clinic - Wednesday - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

Q:  What should I do if there is an emergency?
"Emergency" refers to a situation where an illness is presently or potentially life threatening or threatens severe impairment if the patient is not seen immediately.

Call 911 for life-threatening situations. 

Q:  How much does it cost to be seen?
There is no charge for clinic visits if you meet the eligibility criteria.

Q:  Is there an in-house pharmacy?
Yes.  Over the counter medications are provided at no charge to the student.  There is$5.00 co-pay for most prescription medications.  If a medication is not available in the student health pharmacy, a prescription will be given and the student is responsible for obtaining the medication at an off campus pharmacy of their choice.

Q: Can I get birth control pills and emergency contraception at the Student Health Center?
Yes, birth control pills and other contraceptives are available, for an additional fee.  Prices are available at the Student Health Pharmacy.

Q: Does the Student Health Center provide STD screening and treatment?Yes, you may call or visit the clinic during hours of operation to receive more information.  These services are covered under student health insurance. 

Q:  What services are covered by the pre-paid Student Health Center Fee?
The following services included with the pre-paid student fee:  visits to the physicians, nurse practitioners, mental heath counselors and the nutritionist.  Additional charges not covered by the Student Health Center, however, are assessed for immunizations, injections, and contraceptives.

Q:  If I was enrolled the prior semester, but am not enrolled the current semester, am I covered under the Student Health Insurance poicy?
Fall semester coverage ends one week after Fall Commencement.

Spring semester coverage ends at the start of the following Fall semester.If a student is enrolled in the Spring semester but not the Summer semester, a one-time fee of $20 is required.

Q:  Are referrals required for off-campus treatment?
Yes, referrals are required for off-campus treatment.  Expenses incurred for outside medical treatments for which no prior approval or referral is obtained are excluded from coverage.   (Exceptions include medical emergency or care received when the student health center is closed).

Q:  What do I do after hours?
Visit your nearest After-Hours Clinic. 
Lake After Hours Clinics:
Central - 11055 Shoe Creek Dr.  262-8377
Drusilla - 333 Drusilla Lane         924-3906
O'Neal - 2380 O'Neal Lane          756-0780
Perkins - 12525 Perkins Rd         819-8857