Admission Requirements and Criteria
All applications for admission must be submitted and processed per the Graduate School's requirements and deadlines. To be considered for admission into the MPA program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be admitted to the Graduate School;
- Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning;
- Have a minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.70, preferably a 3.00, for regular admission;
- The minimum GRE score for admission is 700.* The department will take the sum total of the GRE's verbal and quantitative scores to determine an applicant's score; Note: Students must take the GRE before being admitted as a regular admission into the Department's MPA degree program
- Submit three letters of recommendation from academic and professional sources;
- Submit a TOEFL score of 525 for international students;
- Statement of Purpose: Submit an essay on professional career objectives, which should include why the applicant has chosen Public Administration
No applicant will be considered for admission in the regular, provisional or conditional category if the file is missing a complete undergraduate transcript (showing all classes taken and grades earned, the date and degree earned and overall GPA), three letters of recommendation and Statement of Purpose. If any undergraduate class deficiencies are noted, those deficiencies must be cleared prior to the taking of the classes associated with those deficiencies.
- Provisional Admission: An applicant who has applied for admission to the Graduate School and who meets minimum GPA requirements for general admission, but whose credentials were not completed by the admissions deadline, may be admitted provisionally, for one semester, upon recommendation of the department to which they have applied.
- Conditional Admission: Any applicant who does not meet the GPA and/or GRE requirement may be admitted conditionally. Conditional status may be granted for a maximum of one academic year. All students admitted under conditional status must maintain a 3.00 or higher GPA during the probationary period. At the completion of the conditional period of time, a decision will be made as to accepting the student as a regular admission. To gain regular admission, a conditionally admitted student must clear any deficiencies noted and maintain a 3.00 GPA in all graduate coursework..
- Non-Degree Admission: Students may also pursue coursework as a non-degree applicant. Students in this category are required to submit an official transcript and a completed admission application (with appropriate fees) to the Graduate School. Admission to non-degree status does not guarantee admission to a regular degree program. A maximum of 12 hours may be applied to a graduate degree program upon admission, if and only if these classes meet the requirements of the Graduate School and the Department.