Mass Communication, Master of Arts
The Master of Arts degree in Mass Communication is designed for students who already have completed an undergraduate program in print, broadcast journalism or public relations and/or are working in the field and wish to advance or enhance their skills.
- To educate and train students for professions in and related to Mass Communications. This includes strong emphasis on the special role and responsibilities of journalist in American society today.
- To prepare students to be capable and competentin writing, reporting and producing quality news stories for mass audiences in print, broadcast journalism or public relations.
- To prepare students returning to college, after working in the print and broadcast media, for positions in management, stressing the growing opportunities and challenges for women and minorities.
- To help students prepare for specialized writing and reporting careers in such fields as the environment, business, health and medicine and investigative reporting where there is a growing social need for increased reporting and analysis.
- To develop and improve the research capabilities of students and professionals so that they may better understand and work to improve social, economic and other inequities.
- To analyze mass communication and its contributions to the individual and to society which help foster better human relations through keener understanding of social issues.