Jaguar Ambassador Overview
The Jaguar Ambassador Program creates positive experiences for Southern University and A&M College students. Jaguar Ambassadors put their diverse leadership styles to use by assisting prospective students in demonstrating how Southern University and A&M College can provide the type of high quality academic and social environment which will best assist them in attaining their educational goals and career aspirations.
Jaguar Ambassadors dedicate service to the University that ensures the continued success of Southern University and A&M College. Energy, enthusiasm, and dedication are expected of Jaguar Ambassadors. Jaguar Ambassadors also gain outstanding leadership training and are presented with opportunities to develop excellent communication skills. The Jaguar Ambassador Program combines the values of service and leadership to create an organization that will be a precious part of a student's educational experience at Southern University and A&M College.
Duties of Jaguar Ambassadors
Jaguar Ambassadors are called upon to represent the University at events both on and off campus; to accompany recruitment officials on recruitment visits; to assist in planning and executing University functions; and serving as VIP handlers, campus tour guides, new student orientation leaders, and special event facilitators. Jaguar Ambassadors are expected to study and master information on Southern University and A&M College and its history, to attend regularly scheduled meetings for continuing training and instruction, and to conduct themselves at all times according to the highest standards of personal integrity and decorum.
Jaguar Ambassador Requirements
To be selected into the Jaguar Ambassador Program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Earned 24 semester hours credit.
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA, having spent at least one (1) year at Southern University and A&M College.
- No judicial cases with the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Documented proof of active participation in campus activities and organizations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and must be well-spoken.
- The ability to work well with others and to be a successful team player.
- A sincere desire to represent Southern University and A&M College
- Keen knowledge of Southern University and A&M College.
The Jaguar Ambassador Program has a closed membership process that is initiated with the submission on an application packet. Applications to be a Jaguar Ambassador are only accepted when a call for applicants has been announced.
To become a member of the Jaguar Ambassador Program, interested Southern University and A&M College students must:
- Complete and submit an application with required supplemental information
- Participate in scheduled training sessions
- Able to commit at least one (1) year of service to the Jaguar Ambassador Program
After the submission of a program application, a student may be asked to attend a series of interactions, as well as a formal interview with University faculty, staff, administrators, and student leaders. Prospective students that pass the interview stage must complete a series of training sessions, which will provide them with the knowledge on how to be an official University representative. Once these sessions are complete, selected students will become official Jaguar Ambassadors, a process that is concluded with an induction ceremony.
To initiate the process of membership candidacy, interested students must:
- Fill out a program application
- Submit a resume
- Submit one (1) letter of recommendation from a Southern University and A&M College faculty/staff member
- Submit a short video clip (1 minute or less) that details one of the following:
- What makes you a prime candidate to become a Jaguar Ambassador, or
- Give a brief example of a campus tour that you would give as a Jaguar Ambassador.
Application packets must be submitted in their entirety to the Office of Student Life (Suite 203, Smith-Brown Memorial Student Union). Video clips should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information on the Jaguar Ambassador Program, contact Ms. Ja'el Gordon, Advisor, by phone, (225) 771-2256, or via email, email@example.com.