Employee Gudielines and Procedures
Employment Guidelines and Procedures
The sequential steps for the employment and new hire processes are as follows:
- The hiring department must get authorization to fill the position before any announcements, interviews, offers, etc... This is done by completing the Position Vacancy Authorization form and acquiring the appropriate signatures (Department Head and Dean/Director/Supervisor of Budget Unit as indicated on the form. The Position Vacancy Authorization form must be completed for all positions except students and graduate assistants. This form is located on the HR website at http://www.subr.edu/humanresources/downloadableforms.htm. (The Position Vacancy Announcement form may also be completed and submitted along with the Authorization form. The "Application Deadline" and "Date Position to be Filled" will be adjusted as needed based on the date the authorization form is approved.).
- After these signatures are obtained, the forms are submitted to Human Resources for review and approval. HR reviews the authorization form to ensure: it's completed correctly; if replacement, the position exists and the previous incumbent is indicated; if new, verifies the position is classified correctly; then completes the area for HR. For the announcement form, HR reviews to ensure: it's completed correctly; the minimum qualifications are listed and how to apply information is indicated.
- Upon approval, the Position Vacancy Authorization/Announcement forms are submitted to the SUBR campus: Budget Office, Vice Chancellor for Finance, Chancellor (if below $50,000.00 whether new or existing position) and System President (if $50,000.00 or above whether new or existing position); SULC campus: Chancellor (if below $50,000.00 whether new or existing position) and System President (if $50,000.00 or above whether new or existing position) (Budget Office has already approved); SUREAC campus: Chancellor (if below $50,000.00 whether new or existing position) and System President (if $50,000.00 or above whether new or existing position) (Budget Office has already approved); SUS campus: System President (if $50,000.00 or above whether new or existing position) (Budget Office has already approved).
- Approved forms are returned to HR to be posted. Unclassified and faculty positions are posted on the SU Vacancy Announcement Website at http://vsquask.subr.edu/jobs/default.aspx for a minimum of seven (7) days. If a department desires to advertise externally, a written request must be submitted to Human Resources (see step 6).
- Should the vacancy not be filled internally, external advertisements may include but not be limited to local newspaper, professional journals, Chronicle of Higher Education, local employment office, other colleges and universities, etc... for unclassified and faculty positions. A request should be submitted to HR indicating where the department wishes to advertise and the funding source along with an attached copy of the advertisement. The advertisement should be typed on plain paper as it is to appear and include the qualifications, documents needed to apply (such as letter of application, university application, resume', references, etc...) and contact information.
- All Civil Service positions must be posted in accordance with Civil Service rules. Upon receipt of approved forms, classified positions are posted on LaCareers for a minimum of five (5) calendar days as well as the SU VAS website. To apply for classified positions, the applicant logs onto the Civil Service Job Seekers website at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/louisiana/default.cfm to complete an online application.
- Interviewing and selection should be in accordance with guidelines outlined in the "Non-Discriminatory Employment Policies and Procedure" Handbook dated June 30, 1990 for unclassified, faculty and non-competitive Civil Service positions as well as procedures found on pages 62-81 of the Employment Guidelines Handbook. Competitive Civil Service positions will be governed by the guidelines found in the Employment Guidelines Handbook and the Civil Service rules. Hiring managers must share with each prospective employee the following: "While it is our intent to recommend your employment, your eligibility for employment must be verified by HR before an offer of employment can be extended and you must submit I-9 Identifying documentation, i.e., D.L., SS card, Visa, etc... (page 53 of the Employment Guidelines Handbook) for us to determine your legal eligibility to hold employment".
- Once a candidate has been selected, (unclassified and faculty applicants) the hiring supervisor gives him/her the Application for Employment. The hiring supervisor to complete the bottom of page 5 of the application.
- All applicants (including graduate students, undergraduate students, adjuncts, special hire employees, etc...) must complete the Criminal Background Check process as outlined in HR Policy 103. The hiring supervisor provides the memo and documents to the applicant. Applicant to follow instructions outlined in the memo.
- The hiring supervisor verifies references by completing the Reference Check Form.
- The hiring supervisor completes Proposed Employment Clearance (obtain appropriate signature) and Proposed Employee Appointment forms. All forms including the application are submitted to HR along with the documents outlined on page 53 of the Employment Guidelines Handbook.
- Once HR returns the approved Proposed Employment Clearance form to the hiring department, the hiring department generates the Personnel Action Form.
- The hiring supervisor submits the Personnel Action Form to the appropriate Dean/Director/Unit Head for approval. The form follows the hierarchical path for that hiring supervisor/department. The prospective employee must not start work until the Personnel Action Form has been approved at all levels (Chancellor-if, below $50,000.0; System President-if above $50,000.00; the Board of Supervisors-if above $100,000.00). The only exception to this policy is at the beginning of the semester when faculty or teaching graduating assistants are employed to cover and then only with the prior approval of the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic & Student Affairs. These applicants must also have employment clearance through HR prior to starting work and the Personnel Action Form must be completed and submitted no later than the same day the faculty (faculty for classes without an instructor) member report to work. Any other exception to this policy must have the prior written approval of the respective Chancellor.
- Payment to classified, unclassified and faculty employees, other than exception stipulated in number eight (8) above, including regular unclassified and faculty employees working overloads and extra work on grants and special projects should be on the next regularly scheduled payday after the Personnel Action form has cleared all required approval levels. If approval is obtained less than ten (10) work days before the next regularly scheduled pay day, it may be received on the following pay day.
- All new, returning, re-employed, etc. employees whether full time or part time and whether temporary, probationary, adjunct must report to HR to complete employment papers before they start work but no later than the 3rd work day.
If assistance is needed at any time at any step in the process, please contact Human Resources.