Southern University and Agricultural and Mechanical College

Share Print Page Decrease Type Size Increase Type Size TEXT SIZE:

Veteran's Affairs


Veterans Affair Instructions
1-888-GIBILL1 (442-4551)

Students Responsibilities

  • Enroll in the University
  • Apply for VA benefits via web
  • Pay required tuition and fees
  • Submit VA fact sheet (schedule) each semester
  • Report any changes

School Responsibilities - The following information provides the basic responsibilities of an educational institution (school)

  • Report Enrollment
  • Keep VA informed of the enrollment status of veterans and other eligible persons
  • Keep the State Approving Agency (SAA) informed
  • Keep up-to-date on current VA rules and benefits
  • Responsibilities for maintaining records of VA students and making the records available for inspection
  • Schools are encouraged, but are not required by VA to
    • Assist VA students in applying for education benefits
    • Assist VA students with issues regarding payment

Benefits Administered by VA

  • MGIB-SR Chapter 1606.
  • REAP Chapter 1607.MGIB Active Duty Chapter 30.
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33.
  • Dependants' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) Chapter 35

How To Apply For Benefits

What Is Entitlement?

  • Entitlement is the amount of monthly full time benefits a claimant will receive.
  • Up to 36 months for MGIB.
  • Up to 48 months for combined benefit types

College Funds

  • VA refers to these as "kickers." There are kickers for chapters MGIB, VEAP, and MGIB-SR

How Long Does Processing Take?

Processing times depend on a number of variables such as the time of year, the current workload pending at the Regional Processing Office (RPO), the amount of development needed on the claim, etc..

How Are Benefits Paid?

  • Benefits are paid monthly for the previous month
  • Based on a 30 day calendar month.
  • Prorated for partial months.
  • Prorated for less than full time training.
  • Include college funds or kickers.
  • Always paid in arrears

Monthly Certification

  • MGIB claimants certifying enrollment may do so at the end of a month by:
    • Web Automated Verification of Enrollment on the GIBILL web site.
    • Interactive Voice Response at 1-877-823-2378

Tuition Assistance

  • Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid (C. Carter)

State Aid

  • Louisiana residents only
  • Louisiana Fee exemption certificate
  • Contact local VA Service Office

For More Information:

Veteran's Affairs Procedures



 Business Contact Information

The Office of Enrollment Service is located on the 1st Floor of T.H. Harris Hall, P.O. Box 9454, Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70813. Phone: (225) 771-JAGS; Fax: (225) 771-5064

**With the Exception of State authorized holiday closing, and other university approved closures**