Educational Leadership & Policy Studies (Counseling and Educational Leadership)
Educational Leadership and Policy Studies
(Counseling and Educational Leadership)
EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND POLICY STUDIES
The mission of the Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Studies is to prepare excellent counseling professionals who are compassionate, reflective, proactive, and effective change agents for the promotion of greater human understanding, dignity, and positive relationships. The mission is accomplished by faculty working together in partnerships with schools, communities, and university colleagues in response to the Southern University A&M College at Baton Rouge's commitment to children, families, schools, and other settings.
The goals of the Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Studies are to continue to:
- Develop and maintain a curriculum based on current knowledge concerning the counseling and human development needs of a multicultural society.
- Challenge and support the student's and faculty's growth in human understanding, dignity, and positive interactions on all levels.
- Achieve excellence defined by maintaining CACREP accreditation at the Master's level.
- Enhance the community's appreciation of the additive nature of multiculturalism.
- Provide excellent instruction, research and community service.
The Department of Educational Leadership & Policy Studies administers three master's degree programs: Clinical Mental Health Counseling, School Counseling, and Educational Leadership. Adjunctive to the teacher preparation program, the department offers undergraduate service courses in the area of psychological foundations of education to pre-service and in-service teachers.
Master of Education in Educational Leadership
The program is designed to produce leaders to fill school and district educational leadership positions (e.g. assistant principal, principal, parish or city supervisor of instruction, supervisor of childwelfare and attendance, special education supervisor, or comparable school/district leader positions). As a part of the educational leadership structure, there is an option for a teacher to become certified as a teacher leader (see advisor). (See Graduate School Catalog)