Upward Bound Program Overview
UPWARD BOUND TRIO PROGRAMS
The primary purpose of the Southern University and A & M College Upward Bound TRIO Programs is to provide fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. We aim to deliver services and opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Our ultimate goal is to increase the rate at which our participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
The purpose of the Classic Upward Bound Program is to generate in program participants the skills and motivation necessary to complete a program of secondary education and to enter and succeed in a program of postsecondary education. The goal of Classic Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
The Upward Bound Math and Science program is designed to strengthen the math and science skills of participating students. The goal of Upward Bound Math and Science is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees in math and science, and ultimately careers in the math and science profession.
An individual is eligible to participate in a regular, Veterans, or a Math and Science Upward Bound project if the individual meets all of the following requirements:
- Is a citizen of the United States.
- Is a permanent resident of the United States.
- Is in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and provides evidence from the Immigration and Naturalization Service of his or her intent to become a permanent resident.
- Is a permanent resident of Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, or the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
- Is a resident of the Freely Associated States – the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau.
- Is a potential first-generation college student;
- Is a low-income individual; or
- An individual who has a high risk for academic failure.
- Has a need for academic support, as determined by the grantee, in order to pursue successfully a program of education beyond high school.
- At the time of initial selection, has completed the eighth grade and is at least 13 years old but not older than 19, although the Secretary may waive the age requirement if the applicant demonstrates that the limitation would defeat the purposes of Upward Bound.
There is no cost to families of students who are admitted to participate in the Southern University and A & M College Upward Bound TRIO Programs.