The Red Stick Battalion
The history of the Red Stick dates from 1699, when French explorer Sieur d'Iberville lead an exploration party up the Mississippi River and saw a reddish cypress pole festooned with bloody animals and fish that marked the boundary between the Houma and the Bayou Goula Indian's tribal hunting grounds. They called the pole and its location "le bâton rouge", or "Red Stick". The Red Stick still stands on the bluff of the Southern University Baton Rouge Campus overlooking the mighty Mississippi River. It now marks the hunting grounds of the Midshipmen of the Red Stick Battalion, comprised of Naval ROTC students from Southern University, LSU, Southeastern Louisiana University and Baton Rouge Community College. If successful in their relentless pursuit of academic excellence, strong moral character, and superb physical fitness, they will be commissioned as Officers in the United States Navy or the United States Marine Corps.