Graduate Admission Requirements
Procedures for Applying to the Graduate Program
in Speech-Language Pathology
- Applicants must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Transcripts should document successful completion of one or more courses in each of the following areas: biological science, physical science, statistics, social/behavioral sciences.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale).
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is waived for Fall 2023.
- After initial processing of applications, selected applicants will be invited to an interview.
- Accepted students must certify that they meet the EssentialFunctions SLP Department Policy established by the program.
- A minimum of 25 ASHA approved observation hours must be completed prior to beginning our SLP Master's Program. Copies of original documentation, which includes supervisor signatures, will be required soon after the program begins.
Admission to the program is competitive; meeting minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission. Letters of recommendation, admissions essay, and resume will be reviewed by graduate admissions committee and may adjust the rank order.
The Speech-Language Pathology program assures equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or veteran's status.
Next Steps in the Admissions Process
- Application Review. Faculty members from the department will review each complete application in detail.
- Qualified applicants will be invited for an in-person interview. You will also have the opportunity to learn more about Southern University and the speech-language pathology program. Interview dates for our next cycle of admissions are will begin in May 20th.
- Offers of Admission. Following the interviews, the Admissions Committee will discuss each applicant and make one of three initial offers: admission, waitlist, or denial.
- We ask that each student who is offered admission reply to us by June 1st, 2023. We do not release waitlist rankings; the waitlist remains open until the first day of classes.