Dr. Achuthan C. Raghavamenon
Achuthan C. Raghavamenon, Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor, Environmental PhD Program
Associate professor, Biochemistry
Office: Amala Cancer Research Centre,
Amala Nagar, Thrissur
Dr. Achuthan Raghavamenon, is an adjunct Professor in the environmental toxicology at Southern University-Baton Rouge (SUBR) since 2009, He has obtained PhD degree in biochemistry in 2000 and carried out his postdoctoral research in several NIH-funded projects in the areas of oxidative chemistry/biology at the department of Pathology at LSU (Baton Rouge, LA), Department of Surgery at Ohio State University and Environmental toxicology, SUBR Baton Rouge Louisiana.
Dr. Raghavamenon has mentored numerous graduate students (MS) and has published over 21 articles in peer-reviewed journals and book series. Currently he is working as full time Associate professor of biochemistry at Amala Cancer Research Centre, Thrissur, Kerala.He is a recognized guide at Calicut and Mahatma Gandhi universities of Kerala, India Five students are registered under him and pursuing for their PhD degree. He has been in the research advisory committee of three PhD students at JSS University, Mysore and Sasthra University Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India He is leading three external funded projects of various departments under Govt. of India
Area of Interest
Dr. Raghavamenon's research interests include Oxidative stress and degenerative diseases.
Use of medicinal plants in atherosclerosis, Alzheimer's and Cancer.
Teaching (doctoral level; since 2007)
ENTX 723 Advanced Biochemistry, ENTX 800 Dissertation Research (fall, spring, and summer)
Selected Publications(in reverse chronological order)
1. K.R. Smitha, T.D.Babu, AC.Raghavamenon.(2014) Phytochemical screening and invitro cytotoxicity analysis of Uvaria narum (Dunal) Wall. Asian J. Phytomed. Clin. Res. 2, 40 - 47.
2. J.M. Jeksy, P. Jayaram,T.D. Babu and Raghavamenon AC (2014) Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of a nontoxic herbal formulation-GSTC. Int.J.phamtech Res.
3. S. Salini,T.Chubicka, A.C Raghavamenon, and T.D.Babu (2014) Evaluation of antioxidant Activities of Radermachera xylocarpa K.Schum. Int. J. pharmatech.Res.6 704-709.
4. M.K. Divya, S. Dharmapal, A.C. Raghavamenon, T.D Babu (2014) Cytotoxic and antitumor effect of Tribulus terrestril L. fruit methanolic extract.Jpharmacog.phytochem 3. 1-4
5. F. Mohammad, A.C. Raghavamenon, M.O. Claville, C.S. Kumar, and R.M. Uppu (2014). Targeted hyperthermia-induced cancer cell death by gold-coated superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIONs@Au) conjugated luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH). Nanotechnol. Rev. March 2014. DOI: 10.1515/ntrev-2013-0041.
6. L. Laynes, A.C. Raghavamenon, O. D'Auvergne, V. Achuthan, and R.M. Uppu (2011). MAPK signaling in H9c2 cardiomyoblasts exposed to cholesterol secoaldehyde - Role of hydrogen peroxide. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 404, 90-95.
7. A.C. Raghavamenon, A.F. Muyiwa, L.K. Davis, and R.M. Uppu (2011). Dihydroartemisinin induces caspase-8-dependent apoptosis in murine GT1-7 hypothalamic neurons. Toxicol. Mech. Methods. DOI: 10.3109/15376516.2011.552534.
8. .K. Sathishkumar, X. Gao, A.C. Raghavamenon, S.N. Murthy, P.J. Kadowitz, and R.M. Uppu (2010). Determination of Glutathione, Mitochondrial Transmembrane Potential, and Cytotoxicity in H9c2 Cardiomyoblasts Exposed to Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species Methods Mol. Biol. 610, 51-61.
9. K. Sathishkumar, A.C. Raghavamenon, K. Ganeshkumar, R. Telaprolu, N.L. Parinandi, and R.M. Uppu (2010). Simultaneous analysis of multiple redox-sensitive and apoptotic gene expression in hypothalamic neurons exposed to cholesterol ozonation products. Methods Mol. Biol. 610, 263-284.
10. E. S. O'Connor Butler, J.N. Mazerik, J.P. Cruff, S.I. Sherwani, B.K. Weis, C.B. Marsh, A.C. Raghavamenon, R.M. Uppu, H.O. Schmid, and N.L. Parinandi (2010). Lipoxygenase-catalyzed phospholipid peroxidation: Preparation, purification, and characterization of phosphatidylinositol peroxides. Methods Mol. Biol. 610, 387-401.
11. S .Parthasarathy, A.C Raghavamenon, M.O. Garelnabi, and N. Santanam (2010). Oxidized low density lipoprotein. Methods Mol. Biol. 610, 403-418
12. A.C. Raghavamenon, R.Gernapudi, S.Babu, O.Auvergne, S.N. Murthy, P.J. Kadowitz, and R.M.Uppu (2009). Intracellular oxidative stress and cytotoxicity in rat primary cortical neurons exposed to cholesterol secoaldenyde. Biochem.Biophys. Res.Commun. 386, 170-174.
13. A.C. Raghavamenon, M. Garelnabi, S. Babu, A.D. Litvinov, and S. Parthasarathy (2009). α-Tocopherol is ineffective in preventing the decomposition of pre-formed lipid peroxides and may promote the accumulation of toxic aldehydes: A potential explanation for the failure of antioxidants to affect human atherosclerosis. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 11, 1227-1235.
14. X . Gao, A. C. Raghavamenon, O. D'Auvergne, and R.M. Uppu (2009). Cholesterol secoaldehyde induces apoptosis in J774 macrophages via mitochondrial pathway but not involving reactive oxygen species as mediators. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 389, 382-389.
15. S. Babu, A.C. Raghavamenon, F.R. Fronczek, and R.M. Uppu (2009). 4-Hydroxy-3-methoxy-5-nitroacetophenone (5-nitroapocynin). Acta Cryst. E 65, 2292-2293 [suppl., pp. 1-10].
16. A. C. Raghavamenon, C.J. Dupard, B. Kandlakunta, and R.M. Uppu (2009). Determination of alloxan by fluorometric, reversed-phase HPLC. Toxicol. Mech. Methods 19, 485-502.
17. K. Sathishkumar, X. Gao, A.C. Ragavamenon, N.L. Parinandi, W.A. Pryor, and R.M. Uppu (2009). Cholesterol secoaldehyde induces apoptosis in cardiomyocytes through reactive oxygen species involving mitochondrial and death receptor pathways. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 47, 548-558.
18. P.A. Nazeem, C.R. Achuthan,* T.D. Babu, G.V. Parab, D. Girija, R. Keshavachandran, and R. Samiyappan (2008). Expression of pathogenesis related proteins in black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) in relation to Phytophthora foot rot disease. J. Trop. Agri. 46, 33-39.
19. P.A. Nazeem, R. Keshavachandran, T.D. Babu, C.R. Achuthan,* D. Girija, and K.V. Peter (2007). Assessment of genetic variability in black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) varieties through RAPD and AFLP analyses. Recent trends in Horticultural Biotechnology (R. Keshavachandran, Eds.), New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, pp. 485-490.
20. C.R. Achuthan,* B.H. Babu and J. Padikkala (2003). Antioxidant and hepatoprotective effect of Rosa damascena. J. Pharmaceutical. Sci. 41, 357-361.
21. N.K. Mary, C.R. Achuthan,* B.H. Babu, and J. Padikkala (2003). In vitro antioxidant and antithrombotic activity of Hemidesmes indicus (L) R. Br.J. Ethnapharmacol. 87, 187-191.
22. C.R. Achuthan* and J. Padikkala (1997). Hypolipidemic effect of Kaemferia galanga (Kachoori) and Alpinia galanga (Rasna). Ind .J .Clin. Biochem. 12, 55-58.