Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences
The Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences is the only College of Government in the State of Louisiana if not in the region. It is named after the late honorable President Emeritus Nelson Mandela, who led the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa. The mission of the college is to provide opportunities for a diverse student population to achieve a high-quality educational experience, to engage in scholarly research, creative activities and meaningful public service to the community, the state, the nation, and global environment.
The College offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
- Bachelor of Arts in History
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Social Work
- Bachelor of Science in Sociology
- Master of Public Administration
- Executive Master in Public Administration - Online
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Social Sciences
- Doctor of Philosophy in Public Policy
The college uses the principles of excellence, accountability, community engagement and ethical practices in its programming, keeping with the principles of Mr. Mandela whose philosophy is outlined in the following quote, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. The power of education extends beyond the development of skills we need for economic success. It can contribute to nation-building and reconciliation. We are steadily but surely introducing education that enables our children to exploit their similarities and common goals, while appreciating the strength in their diversity.” Its master’s degree program in public administration is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration and its degree in social work by the Council on Social Work Education.