MPA Internship Guidelines
The internship program gives the student an authentic exposure to an organizational bureaucratic environment. The managerial work experience develops the scholar's awareness of the inter-relational dynamics among employees, clientele, and administrators in public and non-profit agencies. The internship program is designed to provide students an opportunity to apply the theoretical, conceptual knowledge they have learned in the classroom to the practical arena. The objectives of internship placements are as follows:
- to ease the transition from an educational situation while making significant contributions to society as public administrators;
- to build students' awareness of the professional obligations of public managers/employees
- to provide an opportunity to employ conceptual training within a professional work environment. This includes the use of quantitative, analytical skills to solve public policy problems;
- to supplement formal, generalized graduate education with specialized competence in one or more areas;
- to furnish students with the ability to identify short and long -term goals within their own self-assessments.