Why Study Abroad?
Studying abroad is indeed a meaningful life-changing experience. The dramatic changes in the global landscape have created conditions that offer compelling reasons for a plethora of changes in U.S. attitude towards language and culture studies. It is not possible to understand the thoughts of other people without understanding their language and culture. It is also the surest way to make sure that they also understand what is on our minds.
Reasons to Study Abroad
- Studying abroad is a life-altering experience: Studying and living in a different culture will help you see the world from a completely different perspective. It is an unbelievable experience that will change your life.
- Learn about yourself: Studying abroad is an occasion to challenge yourself with new situations that will test your abilities to adapt and learn. You may find yourself questioning some of your most long-held beliefs. All you need to succeed is an open mind and a good sense of humor. The perspective gained through a study abroad program is second to none.
- It's a chance to gain perspective on your own culture: Going abroad is a chance to step outside your comfort zone and look at life from a completely different new perspective. Many students return amazed that while studying abroad they learned just as much about the United States as they did about life in their host country.
- It's a chance to acquire second language fluency: The only way to truly become fluent in a foreign language is to study it in a foreign country. If you have studied a language for several years and wish to gain fluency in that language, we can offer you that opportunity through immersion.
- You don't have to speak a foreign language to go abroad: Our programs at Southern University do not require any previous language class. We recognize this as an asset to have, however,our goal is to encourage and not to impede your chances of going abroad. While we value previous language experience, it is not a mandate in order to study abroad.
- Numerous foreign language programs are available: Our programs offer beginning and intermediate language classes for students who need them to graduate or who are simply interested in acquiring proficiency. Language study is required for graduation in most majors. Studying abroad is your chance to move towards fulfilling that requirement in the best possible way.
- Resume-building material: What could possibly look better on a resume than to boast that you studied abroad? In today's global economy, study abroad can be a defining element to every student's undergraduate degree. Many companies increasingly desire leaders with the ability to live successfully in a variety of countries and work with co-workers of varying cultural backgrounds.
- We have programs that will work with any major: Not only does SUBR have programs that operate for a variety of reasons, but all during the summer. In other words, most students can fit a study abroad experience in their four-year academic tenure.
- Many programs offer unique academic structures: Studying abroad offers you the opportunity to escape the monotony of classroom lectures by providing programs that have a myriad of academic possibilities. Some examples of this are doing medical service in The Gambia and Senegal, working as a business intern in Mexico, teacher training in Mexico, or studying cultural architecture in Mexico, Brazil, and Rome.
- Why be just a tourist?: Studying abroad is your chance to travel, learn about the world first-hand and shape your perspectives of a changing world. So many people travel to foreign countries to "see the sights" without understanding the greater significance of those places or events. By studying abroad you get to spend more time overseas, and thus have the opportunity to ask a lot more in-depth questions and to come back as a more worldly citizen.
- Make connections that can last a lifetime: Living with host families provide you with a family experience that forges ties for a lifetime. You and your host family remain in close contact and continue to help each other long after the study abroad experience. It is not unusual for some international families to host members of the same family over the course of time.
Who can Study Abroad?
Any duly registered undergraduate or graduate student at SUBR can apply to study abroad through the Center for International Education. While the majority of our programs function during the summer, we do accommodate the interest of any student regarding semester or year abroad studies.
How do I apply?
You can pick up an application in the Center for International Education, 1100 Harris Hall where an advisor can assist you. You can also request an application through the mail by calling 225-771-2613. Deadlines for summer study abroad programs are usually the first Friday in December of the fall semester. Consult the program-specific brochure for the other information to find the deadline for the program of your interest.
Click here for Study Abroad Opportunities (PDF)
Email program related questions to Warner Anderson.
Program for Non-SUBR students
Students from other universities are allowed to study abroad with SUBR students anywhere we have programs. The requirements are the same for everyone, and credits are transferred to the student's university through the Southern University Registrar's Office.
Non-SUBR students have to fill out an application form and submit it with the customary $25.00 non-refundable application fee. The standard application is available here.
We know that you are somewhat nervous and apprehensive about sending your child to study abroad. As parents, we all share this concern. However , we want to assure you that you will be able to communicate with departure, we will provide you with the phone number and housing information of your child. Additionally, we strongly recommend using the internet regularly because it is more inexpensive and it gives you the opportunity to talk daily. If the first two are not effective, each parent as guardian is given the phone number of the faculty member in charge of the group. You can call this faculty leader to get a message to your child. Finally, any parent can call the office of International Education regarding a message for any of our students studying abroad. It is important for us to know that every parent is comfortable with their child's study abroad experience.
Southern University Center for International Education
P.O. Box 4772
Baton Rouge, La. 70813
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.