- SUBR Catalogs
- Re-Admit Students
- Cross Registration
- Residency Requirements
- Commencement Information
- Transcript Request
- Rights, Duties and Responsibilities of Students
- Academic Clemency
- Auditing a Course
- Class Attendance
- Course Load
- Student Conduct
- Student Records
- System of Grading
- Withdrawal from the University
Undergraduate Admissions - Transfer & Non Traditional
Students desiring to transfer from Regionally Accredited colleges and universities to Southern University with less than18 semester hours of course work must meet the same requirements as the first time freshman. Students with 18 hours or more must have a GPA of 2.0 (based on 4.0) on all transfer work.
Transfer students who have earned 18 or more college-level credit hours must:
- Have a minimum cumulative college level GPA of 2.0 and have completed a college-level English and a college-level Mathematics course designed to fulfill general education requirements.
- Be eligible to return to the institution from which they are transferring
- Submit an official transcript(s) from all the universities/colleges that have been attended.
- Submit a copy of their immunization record.
- Submit a Transfer Reference Sheet that is to be completed by the Dean of Student Affairs.
Transferring with less than 18 minimum college-level academic hours earned:
Students desiring to transfer who have earned less than the minimum college level academic hours required, must have the minimum GPA on college level academic courses earned and must meet the freshman admission standards. A 2.0 GPA is needed on all college work being transferred.
Transfer Student Application [PDF]
Mail Transfer application and supporting documents to:
Office of Admissions
P O Box 9901
Baton Rouge, LA 70813
Adult Students 21-24 Years of Age
Adult Students aged 21-24 are required to meet the minimum freshman admissions criteria. Such students who do not may be admitted under one of the following categories:
- Admissions exception.
- Non matriculating. Students admitted under this category may change their status from nonmatriculating to matriculating by meeting the minimum transfer admission criteria.
- Matriculating, part time. Students admitted under this category may enroll for no more than 3 hours in the summer or 6 hours in the fall or spring semesters. Students admitted under this category may be allowed to enroll in additional hours by meeting the minimum transfer admission criteria.
Adult Students 25 and Over
Adult students aged 25 and over are not required to meet the minimum admissions criteria for a firsttime freshman.
For an adult student that wishes to transfer, that student is required to meet the minimum admissions criteria for transfer students.
An undergraduate student whose studies at the University are interrupted for any reason for a period of two or more consecutive semesters (excluding the Summer term) must submit an application for readmission to the Office of the Registrar, unless written permission to study at another institution has been secured in advance or the student has been granted an official leave of absence. Applications for readmission must be submitted by the appropriate deadline date.
Early application for readmission allows students to participate in early registration. If readmission is approved, the student is subject to the academic requirements and regulations in effect at the time of readmission. A non-refundable readmission application fee of $20 must accompany each application form. Payment may be made by U.S. money order or cashier’s check. The University does not accept personal checks.