Welcome to the Graduate Nursing Program at Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We currently offer three degrees: the Master of Science in nursing (MSN) with a specialty in family health nursing and role options as administrator, educator, or family nurse practitioner, the doctorate of nursing practice (DNP) and the Doctor of Philosophy with a major in nursing (PhD).
The School of Nursing has as its major focus the preparation of professional nurses and the ongoing development and maintenance of an educational climate of relevancy inclusive of professional culture, research and standards of practice. The Vision for the School of Nursing is to have a nationally recognized school with an emerging center for nursing research. The diverse student population will have graduation and external examination pass rates above the national average. The faculty will be nationally recognized for their success with students from disadvantaged backgrounds and their programs of research will attract national attention.
The MSN program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530
Washington, DC 20036
While admission requirements vary among the graduate nursing program options, all applicants are required to possess a current, unencumbered nursing license to practice and a minimum of 2 years of clinical experience as a registered nurse. Specific information related to admission requirements for each graduate nursing program can be found in the Graduate Nursing Bulletin.
Requirements for Admission to the SUBR Graduate Nursing Program
- Completion of a SUBR Graduate School Application
- Official transcripts of all previous college course work
- Satisfactory Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores taken within 5 years of the application
- Current unencumbered license to practice nursing in a state or US territory and eligibility for licensure in Louisiana
- Evidence of computer literacy
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to the ability of the applicant to undertake graduate course work
Specific Questions related to the Graduate Nursing Program at Southern University, Baton Rouge should be preferred to:
Graduate Nursing Office
P.O. Box 11784
Baton Rouge, LA 70813
School of Nursing Building-Room 107
Office (225) 771-2663 or Fax (225) 771-3547