Dr. Guang Lin Zhao
- Professional Preparation
- 1992, Ph. D., majoring in Solid State Physics with a minor in Computer Science, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.
- 1983-1988, Graduate student and candidate for Doctor of Science, Solid State Physics, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
- 1983, M. S. in Low Temperature Physics, Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
- 1977, B. S. in Low Temperature Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China.
- 1997- present: Assistant to Associate to full Professor, Southern University and A&M College. Graduate/undergraduateteaching. Computational and experimental research on the synthesis and physical properties of carbon nanotubes (CNT's) and multifunctional nano composite nitrogen functionalized carbon nanostructures as new electrocatalysts, thermoelectric materials, wide band-gap semiconductors, ceramics, and high Tc superconductors.
- Fall 2005 - Spring 2006: Visiting Fellow, Visiting Associate Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, and Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials. Research in developing of a new method for ab-initio molecular dynamics simulations for materials research. Teaching of Engineering Mathematics.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICE
- 1998-present, served as a manuscript referee for professional research journals, including
(1) International Journal of Modern Physics;
(2) Physica C;
(3) Journal of Material Science;
(4) Solid State Communications;
(5) European Physical Journal B;
(6) Acta Physica Sinica;
(7) Composites Science and Technology;
(8) Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B;
(9) J. Superconductivity and Novel Magnetism;
(10) Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications;
(11) Progress in Electormagentic Research;
(12) Journal of Molecular Structure: THEOCHEM;
(13) Colloids and Surfaces A;
(15) Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing;
(16) Catalysis Communications;
(17) Macromolecular Research;
(18) Chemical Communications;
(19) Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics;
(20) Applied Physics Letters;
(21) Science of Advanced Materials;
(22) Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters;
(23) ACS Catalysis; ,br> (24) RCS Chemical Science;
(25) ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces;
(26) Journal of Materials Chemistry A;
(27) Journal of the American Chemical Society (JACS);
(28) Scientific Reports-Nature
- 2004-present, served as a proposal reviewer for National Science Foundations, U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation, Korea Research Foundation, Austrian Science Fund.
- 2017 Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Innovation Award at the Becoming Everything You Are (BEYA) STEM Global Competitiveness Conference in Washington, D.C., February 9-11, 2017.
- 2013 Research Millionaire Club Inductee, Southern University and A & M College, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Faculty Researcher/Scholar of the Year for FY 2007-2008, College of Sciences, Southern University and A & M College, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Visiting Fellow, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, 2005-2006.
- Chancellor’s Visiting Scholar, University of Missouri, Kansas City, Missouri, 1986-1988.
- Synergistic Activities:
- Research on the synthesis of carbon nanotubes and nanoparticles, nitrogen functionalized carbon nanostructures as new electrocatalysts for oxygen reduction reaction and others;
- Studies of multifunctional polymer nano-composites;
- First-principles computational studies of electronic and related properties of materials;
- Teach graduate and undergraduate physics courses.
- Patent: US Patent Application #15/159,228, "Carbon Nanostructure Synthesis", filed on May 19, 2016, Inventor: Guang-Lin Zhao, Co-Inventors: Feng Gao and Zhou Wang, Southern University and A & M College.
- RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Recently Funded Research Projects:
- A research project funded by Army Research Office (ARO) (award # W911NF151048), entitled “Research Innovation on Nitrogen Functionalized Carbon Nanostructures and Their Electrocatalytic Properties”, PI/PD: Guang-Lin Zhao. Two physics graduate students are expected to work on this project with research assistantship/fellowship supports.
- National Science Foundation Award # 1736136, entitled "CREST Center for Next Generation Multifunctional Composites (NextGen Composites Phase II)," for an award amount of total $5,000,000.00 (5 millions) for five years, starting on September 1 , 2017. Guang-Lin Zhao is a co-PI of this center project and is the lead PI for one of the three subprojects at SUBR. Two physics graduate students are expected to work on this project with research assistantship/fellowship supports.
Previously Funded Research Projects:
- A joint Louisiana State Board of Regents project entitled “Louisiana Alliance for Simulation guided Materials Applications (La-SigMA)” funded by National Science Foundation (Award No. EPS-1003897) Guang-Lin Zhao (Co-PI for computational energy materials research).
- A research project funded by Air Force Office of Scientific Research (Award No FA9550-09-1-0367) entitled “Study of Electromagnetic Wave Absorption Properties of Carbon Nanotubes-Based Composites”, PI/PD: Guang-Lin Zhao
- A research project funded by National Science Foundation (NSF) award CBET-0754821 entitled “New High Efficiency Thermoelectric Materials for Thermal Energy Harvesting”, Guang-Lin Zhao (PI/PD), Jinke Tang (Co-PI), Shengmin Guo (Co-PI).
- A National Science Foundation project 0959105 entitled “MRI-R2: Acquisition of a Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) for Research, Research Training, and Education at Southern University a Research Undergraduate Institution (RUI)”, Edwin Walker (PI/PD), Guang-Lin Zhao (Co-PI), Guoqiang Li (Co-PI).
- A Department of Defense DURIP grant award (FA9550-11-1-0330) entitled "(DURIP 11): Equipment Enhancement for the Studies of Broadband Electromagnetic Wave Absorption Properties of Carbon Nanotube-Polymer Composites", PI/PD: Guang-Lin Zhao.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Guang-Lin Zhao, Feng Gao, Kuo Li, Zhou Wang, Maryam Jahan, "Using natural cotton fibers to synthesize carbon nanotubes and electromagnetic wave absorption properties", Materials Science and Engineering B 224 (2017) 61–68. doi: 10.1016/j.mseb.2017.07.006.
- Richard Inakpenu, Cheick Bamba, Ifeanyi H. Nwigboji, Lashounda Franklin, Yuriy Malozovsky, Guang-Lin Zhao, Diola Bagayoko, "Ab-Initio Computations of Electronic, Transport, and Structural Properties of zinc-blende Beryllium Selenide (zb-BeSe)", Journal of Modern Physics, 8, 552-566 (2017).
- Yudong Mo, Jose M. Perez, Zhou Ye, Lei Zhao, Shizhong Yang, Liuxi Tan, Zhongwei Li, Feng Gao, Guanglin Zhao. "Effects of light on the resistivity of chemical vapor deposited graphene films." AIMS Materials Science, 2016, 3(4): 1426-1435. doi: 10.3934/matersci.2016.4.1426
- Zhou Wang, Aravindkumar Vemishetti, John Idoko Ejembi, Guodong Wei, Boliang Zhang, Li Wang, Yi Zhang, Shengmin Guo, Jia Luo, Corin Chepko, Qilin Dai, JinKe Tang, Guang-Lin Zhao, "High thermoelectric performance of fullerene doped Bi0.5Sb1.5Te3 alloys", Materials Science and Engineering B 205, 36–39 (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.mseb.2015.12.001
- Guang-Lin Zhao, "The puzzle of anomalous isotope effect in high and low Tc superconductors", J Phys Chem Biophys 6:3(Suppl), 29 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2161-0398.C1.016.
- John I. Ejembi, Ifeanyi H. Nwigboji, Zhou Wang, Diola Bagayoko,and Guang-Lin Zhao, "High Microwave Absorption of Multi-Walled Carbon, Nanotubes (Outer Diameter 10 – 20 nm)-Epoxy, Composites in R–Band", Physical Science International Journal, 8(4): 1-10, 2015, Article no.PSIJ.19439.
- Yi Zhang, Zhou Wang, Boliang Zhang, Guang-Lin Zhaoand Shengmin Guo, "The electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness of high aspect-ratio SiC nanofibers/epoxy composites", RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 93499.
- Ifeanyi H. Nwigboji, John I. Ejembi, ZhouWang, Diola Bagayoko, Guang-Lin Zhao, "Microwave absorption properties of multi-walled carbon nanotube (outer diameter 20–30 nm)–epoxy composites from 1 to 26.5 GHz", Diamond & Related Materials 52 (2015) 66–71.
- Feng Gao, Guang-Lin Zhao, ZhouWang, Diola Bagayoko, Di-Jia Liu, "Catalytic reaction on FeN4/C site of nitrogen functionalized carbon nanotubes as cathode catalyst for hydrogen fuel cells", Catalysis Communications 62 (2015) 79–82.
- Yi Zhang, Zhou Wang, Boliang Zhang, Chengjun Zhou, Guang-Lin Zhao, Jiechao Jiang and S. M. Guo, " Morphology and electromagnetic interference shielding effects of SiC coated carbon short fibers", Mater. Chem. C,2015, 3, 9684.
- I. Ejembi, I. H. Nwigboji, L. Franklin, Y. Malozovsky, G. L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, "Ab-initio calculations of electronic, transport, and structural properties of boron phosphide", Journal of Applied Physics 09/2014; 116(10):103711. DOI: 10.1063/1.4894692.
- Zhou Wang and Guang–Lin Zhao, "Electromagnetic wave absorption of multi–walled carbon nanotubes (outer diameter 8–15 nm)–epoxy composites in R band", J. Mater. Chem. C, 2, 9406 (2014).
- Guang-Lin Zhao, "Sharp electronic structure and anomalous isotope effect in Zr, Nb3Sn,and YBa2Cu3O7", Phys. Status Solidi B 251, No. 8, 1531–1538 (2014)/DOI 10.1002/pssb.201451112.
- Feng Gao, Guang-Lin Zhao, and Shizhong Yang, "Catalytic Reactions on the Open-Edge Sites of Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Nanotubes as Cathode Catalyst for Hydrogen Fuel Cells", ACS Catal. 2014, 4, 1267−1273.
- Zhou Wang, Jia Luo, and Guang–Lin Zhao, "Dielectric and microwave attenuation properties of graphene nanoplatelet–epoxy composites", AIP Advances 4, 017139 (2014); doi: 10.1063/1.4863687.
BELOW ARE SELECTED PUBLICATIONS IN PHYSICS, IN EDUCATION, AND OTHERS
- L. Zhao, S. Yang, D. Bagayoko, J. Tang, Z.J. Wang, “Electronic structure of C60 semiconductors under controlled doping with B, N, and Co atoms”, Diamond & Related Materials vol. 17, 749. (2008).
- Bagayoko, L. Franklin, G. L. Zhao, and H. Jin, Comment on “Band gap bowing and electron localization of GaxIn1-xN”, J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 103, 96101. (2008).
- Bagayoko, L. Franklin, H. Jin, and G. L. Zhao, “Comments on Band structures and optical spectra of InN polymorphs: Influence of quasiparticle and excitonic effects”. Physical Review B, Vol 76, 037101 . (2007).
- Jin, G. L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, “Calculated optical properties of wurtzite InN” JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, Vol 101, 033123 . (2007).
- L. Zhao and D. Bagayoko,” A Proposed New Measurement of the Superconducting Gap in YBa2Cu3O7”, International Journal of Modern Physics B Vol 21, pp. 3290 - 3293 . (2007).
- L. Zhao and D. Bagayoko, “A Universal Relation between the Densities of States near Van Hove Singularities and the Effective Electron Masses in 1-Dimensional Materials”, International Journal of Modern Physics B Vol 21, pp. 3477 – 3480. (2007).
- G L Zhao and D Bagayoko,”Ab-Initio Density Functional Calculations of the Growth and Structural Properties of Short Carbon Nanobells”, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol 61, 1341 . (2007).
- L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and L. Yang, “Optical properties of aligned carbon nanotube mats for photonic applications”, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 114311. (2006).
- Jin, G. L. Zhao, and D. Bagayoko, “Density functional band gaps of AlAs”, Physical Review B, vol. 73, 245214. (2006).
- Selected for publication by Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, June 19, 2006, Volume 13, Issue 24, “Optical properties of aligned carbon nanotube mats for photonic applications”, G. L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and L. Yang.. (2006).
- Pullen, G. L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and L. Yang, “Structural, elastic, and electronic properties of deformed carbon nanotubes under uniaxial strain”, Physical Review B Vol. 71, 205410 . (2005).
- Selected for publication by Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology -- June 6, 2005, Volume 11, Issue 22, “Structural, elastic, and electronic properties of deformed carbon nanotubes under uniaxial strain”, by A. Pullen, G. L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and L. Yang.. (2005).
- Hongwei Zhu, Guang-Lin Zhao, Charan Masarapu, David P. Young, Bingqing Wei, “Super-small energy gaps of single-walled carbon nanotube strands”, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS, Vol. 86, 203107 . (2005).
- Bagayoko, L. Franklin, and G. L. Zhao, “Predictions of electronic, structural, and elastic properties of cubic InN”, J. Appl. Phys. Vol. 96, pp.4297-4301. (2004).
- L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and L. Yang, “Effective masses of charge carriers in selected symmorphic and nonsymmorphic carbon nanotubes”, Phys. Rev. B vol. 69, 245416. (2004).
- Selected for publication by Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology -- July 12, 2004, Volume 10, Issue 2, “Effective masses of charge carriers in selected symmorphic and nonsymmorphic carbon nanotubes”, by G. L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and L. Yang.. (2004).
- Torrence, D. Bagayoko, and G. L. Zhao, “The BZW Method and the Electronic Properties of Zinc Selenide (ZnSe)”, Proceedings of the Louisiana Academy of Sciences, vol. 66, 1 . (2004).
- L. Zhao, A. Pullen, and D. Bagayoko, “The Metallic Nature of Boron Layers in Magnesium Diboride”, International Journal of Modern Physics B, vol. 17, 5905\. (2003).
- L. Zhao, D. Bagayoko, and E. G. Wang, “Electronic Structure of Short Carbon Nanobells”, Modern Physics Letters B, vol. 17, 375. (2003).
- Bagayoko and G. L. Zhao, “Density of states, charge transfer, and optical properties of magnesium diboride”, International Journal of Modern Physics B 16, 571 . (2002).
- Bagayoko, G. L. Zhao, and S. Hasan, “A Mathematical Solution to the Band Gap Problem”, in Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Contemporary Problems in Mathematical Physics, Editors J. Govaerts, M. N. Hounkonnou, and A. Z. Msezane, ISBN 981-02-4935-7, (World Scientific, New Jersey, 2002).. (2002).
- Bagayoko, G. L. Zhao, and S. Hasan, “Ab-Initio Description and Prediction of Properties of Carbon-Based and Other Non-Metallic Materials”, Proceedings of the Sixth Applied Diamond Conference/Second Frontier Carbon Technology Joint Conference (ADC/FCT 2001), p. 544.. (2001).
- L. Zhao and D. Bagayoko, “Anomalous Isotope Effect in Low and High Tc Superconductors: the Contribution of the Electronic Structure”, Physica C, 364-365, 21. (2001).
- Bagayoko and G. L. Zhao, “Predicted Electronic Properties of Cubic Si3N4”, Physica C, 364- 365, 261. (2001).
- E. Brener, J. M. Tyler, J. Callaway, D. Bagayoko, and G. L. Zhao, “Electronic Structure and Fermi Surface of CrO2”, Physical Review B 61, 16582. (2000).
- L. Zhao and D. Bagayoko, "Electronic Structure and Charge Transfer in 3C- and 4H-SiC", New Journal of Physics 2, 16.1-16.12 (2000), online 18 July 2000.. (2000).
- L. Zhao and D. Bagayoko, "Temperature Dependence of the Anisotropic Gap in YBa2Cu3O7", Physica C: Superconductivity, Vol. 341-348 (1-4) (2000) pp. 161-162.. (2000).