- Message from the Department Chair
- Mission Statement
- Why Major in Political Science?
- Degrees in Political Science
- Meet the Faculty & Staff
- Jewel Limar Prestage Public Policy, Polling, & Research Center
- Southern University Law School
- Political Science Publications
- Political Science Resources
- Contact Us
- Nelson Mandela College of Government & Social Sciences
Professor Christopher Cottrell
Professor Christopher E. Cottrell is an Assistant Professor of Geography at Southern University and A&M College. He is a veteran educator in his 26thyear of teaching within the department. His primary areas of teaching include Cultural Geography and Principles of Geography. Research interests include ethnic geography (ethnic separatist movements and indigenous population rights), military geography, electoral geography (redistricting and election mapping), medical geography (infectious disease diffusion and health care accessibility), political geography (bioterrorism), cultural geography (ethnocultural landscape analysis and preservation, ethnographic study of African diaspora percussion, HBCU cultural identity), social geography (counter racism, socioeconomic and political inequality), quantitative geography (spatial analysis, spatial modeling, theoretical geography), environmental geography (climate change impact on natural disasters), and cybergeography (spatial prediction, detection and prevention of lone wolf/domestic and international terrorism).
- M.A. – Geography, State University of New York at Albany
- B.A. – Geography, Grambling State University
- GIS Certification, Colorado State University