SUBMISSIONS FOR OUR FALL/WINTER EDITION ARE OPEN IN ALL CATEGORIES FROM APRIL 15, 2023, UNTIL OCTOBER 31, 2023
Along with short fiction and poetry, we are now accepting CREATIVE NONFICTION!
Committed to excellence in writing, Sangam, the literary journal of Southern University and A&M College in Baton Rouge, asks that you send us your best unpublished short fiction, poetry, or creative non-fiction, irrespective of length, subject, or style.
We look to welcome new writers while also featuring contributors who have been nominees and recipients of esteemed writing awards, prizes, and honors, such as the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Pushcart Prize, and Poet Laureate, as well as publishing original work and translations with leading journals and presses, including American Life in Poetry, The Iowa Review, New York Quarterly, The New Yorker, North American Review, Oxford University Press, and The Writer’s Almanac, among others.
We carefully consider every submission and look forward to you being part of Sangam’s emerging position in today’s literary tradition.
Send us your best unpublished creative non-fiction, poetry, or short fiction—irrespective of length, subject, or style—to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your email subject line, list your genre of writing (creative nonfiction, poetry, fiction).
- Please attach your submission as a WORD file. We no longer accept PDFs for submissions.
- DO NOT include your name anywhere in your submission, including the title of the file--we read blind. Submissions with names included will be rejected.
- In the body of your email, please write a brief third-person biography that includes any previous publications or relevant awards. If your bio is over 100 words, we reserve the right to edit it down to a more manageable length.
- Finally, please inform us if your work is a simultaneous submission
Regarding simultaneous submissions, we understand the acceptance time frame for many magazines and journals can involve delays. For these reasons, we support simultaneous submissions. When you send us your work, let us know if it is a simultaneous submission; please notify us at your earliest convenience when an aspect of your submission has been accepted elsewhere.
We do not print any works with referenced materials that require permissions, such as archival documents, artwork, or photography. However, we welcome works that reference such materials so long as writers do not display them in their manuscript.