In almost all higher education facility organizations, maintenance and repair work requests are managed separately from project work requests because they have different funding, timing and execution parameters.
The Physical Plant's Maintenance department of OFS is staffed and funded primarily to accomplish maintenance and repair on the facilities and facility systems currently in place. But from time to time, instructional, staffing, and programmatic changes may require facility modifications, improvements, and/or alterations. These kinds of work may be completed in-house, or-because of the scope of the work or the workload of in-house staff-they may warrant the use of a contractor. Funding for this kind of work- for materials for in-house work, or labor and materials for contracted work-must be provided by the requestor or the requesting department, either through their pre-defined operating budget or through special funding from their dean, the provost, or a vice chancellor in conjunction with the programmatic changes planned. Facility changes due to grant funding must also be funded in this manner.
To ensure fiscal responsibility and proper accountability for project work, and to provide the most reasonable distribution of resources for and timely completion of this type of work, you must initiate project work via a proposal in the form of a requisition and attach all related documents for approval by the OFS and / or Facility Planning administrators.
Types of Services Provided:
- Maintain radio field contact with maintenance and operations personnel
- Performs data entry of all associated data including work requests, work order type and shop assignments
- Provides centralized support for the receipt, distribution and tracking of all in-house maintenance, renovation and construction projects.
- Process and distributes Alert Notices to campus customers prior to planned interruptions in building services
- Tracks phone and electronic requests for all maintenance repairs
- Provide work scheduling services
- Send out estimate letters with scope and dollar amount on work to be done by OFS per Customer request
- Schedule and generate Preventive Maintenance services
- Electricity distribution
- Chilled water production and distribution
- Domestic water supply and distribution
- Sanitary sewer services
- Storm drainage
- Water and environmental quality management
- Energy and water conservation programs
- Roads, sidewalks and paths