This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.

I agree

Professional Judgment

Office of Financial Aid


Professional Judgment


Professional Judgment is the ability of a financial aid counselor to change a student's financial aid based on unusual circumstances. Circumstances may include a decrease in income, change in family size, loss of assets, unusual expenses, etc. Examples of possible circumstances are listed on the Appeal Form (student or parent). This list is not intended to be all inclusive since you may have a situation that is not categorized.

Your eligibility for financial aid was originally calculated based on the information you provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The income and asset information you submitted was evaluated by a formula called Federal Methodology as set by Congress. The formula assumes that your previous year's income, assets, and family size are good predictors of your family's financial strength during the student's current year enrollment. Based on this assumption, financial aid eligibility is determined using previous year income information.

The Office of Student Financial Aid at Southern University and A&M College (SUBR) recognizes that many families experience changes in income, assets, or family situations that are not reflected in the previous year's tax transcript data. Therefore, it is possible for you to appeal your financial aid offer if you have special financial circumstances.


Initiation of Appeals

Professional judgment appeals can be initiated by completing one of the following forms (available on our website or click below) and submitting it to our office at the address or fax number listed.  Once your appeal is received and your situation has been documented, the professional judgment team will review it and notify you of the result:

  • Dependency Status Appeal Form
  • Special Circumstances Loss of income Form

The changes made by the professional judgment team may or may not increase your financial aid. Since funding is limited, it is important to submit your appeal as early as possible. The review process may take as long as four weeks.


If approved, you will be reconsidered for federal and state funds. Depending upon fund availability, this may include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work-Study, William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Programs, state grants/scholarships, etc.


Required Documentation


In order to make changes to your financial aid, documentation of your unusual circumstances must be submitted. Typical documentation may include the following:


Medical expenses: Completed Southern University and A&M College (SUBR) medical appeal forms with copies of Explanation of Benefits (EOB) statements attached and letter from doctor(s) indicating cost of future care required.

Maintenance of two households: Letter outlining why two households must be maintained, copies of lease agreements, mortgage notes, and utility bills for each of the two residences.

Divorce or separation: Copy of court documents showing separation/divorce, documentation of living in two separate residences (utility bills, leases, etc.)

Decrease in income: Copies of year-to-date pay stubs, federal tax transcripts, termination notice from employer, and notice from Social Security regarding termination of benefits.


Return the appeal form to:


Southern University and A&M College (SUBR)

Office of Student Financial Aid

P.O. Box 9961 T.H. Harris Annex Bldg.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana  70813

Fax: (225) 771-5898


Virtual Advisor