What We Look For
The MBA program at Southern University selects applicants from varied business and other backgrounds that have the potential to become successful global leaders. The Admissions Committee seeks to develop a thorough understanding of each applicant prior to rendering a decision. We assess candidates in three basic areas:
The committee values academic performance and seeks candidates who demonstrate superior intellectual ability.
Professional Skills & Goals
Close attention is paid to each applicant's professional accomplishments as well as to his or her professional ambitions. The committee seeks applicants who have developed a strong foundation and/or essential skills for their future professional goals.
The committee seeks to enroll individuals of strong character who have proven themselves as both leaders and team players, who are well rounded and interesting and who have demonstrated the will and ability to actively contribute to the well being of their community. The Admissions Committee endeavors to select a group of people representing an extraordinary variety of professions, nationalities, ethnicities and personal interests.
For admission to the Southern University MBA Program applicants must provide:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. Institution or the equivalent from a foreign institution.
- Official Transcript showing all undergraduate and graduate work pursued, if any, including GPA.
- Cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or above on a scale of 4.00 for all undergraduate work and a 3.00 for a graduate work.
- Scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language -TOEFL (for International Students from non-TOEFL exempt countries).
- A four-page double-spaced Career Objectives Essay on:
-How will an MBA degree help you for your future career development and transformation?
-What special attributes or life experiences do you have that may distinguish you from other MBA applicants.
-What you intend to do or be after you complete the MBA program.
- Acceptable GMAT or GRE Scores not older than five (5) years.
- Current professional resume showing work and leadership experience.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
- Completed Degree-seeking Application Form.
- $25 Money Order Application Fee.
GMAT/GRE Waiver Policy:
As a general policy, all applicants must take the GMAT or GRE test and meet the required score. However, GMAT/GRE Exam waivers will be considered on a case-by-case reviews based on the following criteria:
- Hold a graduate degree (MS, JD, MD, Ph.D., or D.D.S.) from a U.S. accredited university or equivalent.
- Have 3.00 or above undergraduate GPA on a scale of 4.00 from a U.S. accredited university or equivalent and a minimum of three years professional and/or managerial work experience.
- Applicants who do not meet any of the above criteria are not eligible for a GMAT or GRE waiver.
For more information, contact the MBA Office at 225-771-6249 OR 225-771-6248.