Summer Institute for High School Students
- What is the BAYOU Summer Program?
The Beginning Agricultural Youth Opportunities Unlimited (BAYOU) Program provides an opportunity for high school students to gain “first hand” knowledge about career opportunities in Agriculture, Family and Consumer Sciences and related disciplines.
- What is the purpose of the College of Agricultural Family and Consumer Sciences Program?
The major purpose of this program is to stimulate interest in careers opportunities available in these fields of study among high school students.
- Who is eligible to participate?
High school seniors (have completed 11th grade) and graduating seniors
- What are the academic requirements?
Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Is knowledge of agriculture or family and consumer sciences required?
- Are there specific courses one should have taken?
Yes. Applicant should have completed or are working on a college preparatory curriculum.
- Where will I live?
All students will live in dormitories on the campus of Southern University and A&M College. Students will have an opportunity to go home on weekends at their own expense when no other activities are scheduled.
- Is there a cost to participate in the program?
No. The program pays all expenses.
- Can I attend freshman orientation during the program?
Yes, if selected, the program will aid you in coordinating an orientation date during the program.
- How many students will be selected?
A maximum of 40 students may be selected to participate in this year’s program. The exact number will depend on availability of funds and the number of qualified applicants.
- How do I get into the program?
Interested participants must submit an application, copy of an official high school transcript(s), copy of ACT scores and two letters of recommendation to:
Or Via Fax: (225) 771-3661 or (225) 771-5771
Mail: Southern University and A&M College
College of Agricultural, Family & Consumer Sciences
Fisher Hall, Rm 102
Baton Rouge, LA 70813
Attn: BAYOU Program
- When is the deadline for submitting an application?
Applications must be postmarked no later than April 13, 2018.
- When will I know whether I have been selected to participate in the program?
Applicants will be notified of selections on or before May 4, 2018. *Please be sure to put your e-mail address on the application to receive quick notification.