CV Hak-Chul Shin
Alex Hak-Chul Shin
Education – degree, discipline, institution, year
• Ph. D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 2000
• Master of Engineering, Structural Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand, 1990
• Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, 1988
Academic experience – institution, rank, title (chair, coordinator, etc. if appropriate), when (e.g., 2002-2007), full-time or part-time
• Southern University, Professor and chair in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2018 – current, full-time
• Southern University, Associate Professor, Professor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2012 – 2018, full-time
• Southern University and Louisiana State University, Joint Assistant Professor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2006 – 2012, full-time
• Jackson State University, Assistant Professor in Department of Civil Engineering, 2001 – 2006, full-time
• University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Postdoctoral Research Associate, 5/2000 – 10/2000, full-time
• University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Research Assistant, 1995 -2000, part-time
Non-academic experience – company or entity, title, brief description of position, when (e.g., 2008-2012), full-time or part-time
• California Department of Transportation, Transportation Engineer, 2000 – 2001, full-time
• Burim Consultant Inc. (Seoul, Korea), Chief Engineer,1993 -1994, full-time
• Hyundai Housing and Industrial Developing Co. LTD (Seoul, Korea), Engineer, 1992 – 1993, full-time
Certifications or professional registrations
• Professional Engineer (civil), Louisiana (# 37336), 2012
• Professional Engineer (civil), Michigan (# 47497), 2001
• Engineer-In-Training, California (# 112183), 2001
Current membership in professional organizations
• American Concrete Institute (ACI)
• American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Honors and awards
• 2018 Engineering Faculty Professionalism Award, Engineering Foundation of Louisiana Engineering Society
• Office of Naval Research (ONR) Summer Faculty Research Program (SFRP) Fellowship, 2016, 2015, 2013, 2010
• Outstanding Research Award Nominee, Southern University, 2013
• Outstanding Service as ASCE Faculty Advisor, Southern University Chapter, 2013
Service activities (within and outside of the institution)
• LTRC Policy Committee and Foundation Board of Directors, 2019-current, Baton Rouge, LA
• EBR Parish Engineer and Surveyor Selection Board, 2019-current. Baton Rouge, LA
• Session Chair for the SCMT4 Conference, August 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada.
• Co-organizer, Structural Health Monitoring of Transportation Infrastructure Facilities, RE-CAST Graduate Student Workshop, June 1-3, 2015, Rutgers University, New Jersey.
• External reviewer for the tenure and promotion of Dr. Yoo Jae Kim, Department of Engineering Technology, Texas State University, 2014.
• President – Korean Transportation Association in America (2011-2013)
Briefly list the most important publications and presentations from the past five years – title, co-authors if any, where published and/or presented, date of publication or presentation
• D. Lee and Alex H-C Shin, Finite Element Study on the Impact Responses of Concrete Masonry Unit Walls Strengthened with Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Composite Materials, Composite Structures (ELSEVIER), Vol. 154, pp. 256-268, 2016.
• Y. Chung and Alex H-C Shin, Local Calibration of EICM Using Measured Temperature Gradients and Numerical Analysis, International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Vol.8, No. 4, pp. 259-266, 2015.
• Development of Rapid PCC Pavement Repair Materials, 4th International Conference on Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies (SCMT4), August 7 – 11, 2016, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Briefly list the most recent professional development activities
• Quality Matter (QM) Workshop, online training, June and August, 2020
• INCREASE User Facilities Awareness Workshop, September 17-18, 2015, Argonne, IL
• MATLAB for Data Analysis and Visualization, September 10, 2015, Baton Rouge, LA
• Army Research Laboratory Open House, December 9-10, 2014, Washington, DC
• LS-DYNA Post-Conference Training: Blast & Penetration, June 11-12, 2014, Dearborn, MI