Undergraduate Nursing Program (BSN)
Why a Baccalaureate Degree?
Baccalaureate nursing programs encompass all of the course work taught in associate degree and diploma programs plus a more in-depth treatment of the physical and social sciences, nursing research, public and community health, nurse management and the humanities. The additional course work enhances the student's professional development, prepares the new nurse for a broader scope of practice, and provides the nurse with a better understanding of the cultural, political, economic, and social issues that affect patients and influence health care delivery. (AACN)
Admission to the SUBR BSN Program
- Application to the SUBR BSN Program may be made during the sophomore year.
- Transfer students that are in good standing at their previous university and school of nursing and who have comparable preparation are eligible to apply.
- Students are urged to seek advisement from the School of Nursing or University College regarding specific courses acceptable as prerequisites.
- Qualified applicants will be admitted without discrimination in regard to sex, race, ethnic identity, creed, age, or marital status.
Requirements for Admission to SUBR BSN Program
- Meet the requirements for general admission to Southern University - Baton Rouge.
- Completed the ACT or SAT and submit the scores to the University.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.60 on all University course work completed.
- Have a minimum grade of "C" in all prerequisite nursing courses.
- Have a successfully completed or received credit for all required courses listed for the first three semesters of he curriculum plan.
- Be accepted by the School of Nursing admissions committee and the dean of the School.*
- Prior to enrolling in any clinical nursing course, a completed health form must be submitted.
*Application to the School of Nursing is usually made while students are enrolled in N200. If there are more qualified applicants than can be accepted at the time of request, admission will be granted to applicants who have met the criteria for admission and have given evidence of the most reasonable prospect of success in the nursing major.
- If there are more qualified applicants than can be accepted at the time of request, the admission pool will be made up of applicants who have met the criteria for admission, have given evidence of reasonable prospect of success in the nursing major, and who best represent the mission and goals of the University.
- The curriculum plan four-year, 120 hour program includes prerequisite nursing courses, University general education requirements, and upper division courses in the nursing major. Student should consult an advisor regarding prerequisite requirements for Human Anatomy, BIOL 242.
Students, please note the following before logging on to the Nursing CAS application:
- There is a $55.00 fee for the Nursing CAS application.
- PLEASE DO NOT select to have your documents uploaded per Nursing CAS, due to an extra charge that you may incur. Upload all of your documents yourself.
- The APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE IS MARCH 15, 2021.
Dr. Trudy Williams, Interim Chair
Southern University and A&M College
School of Nursing
P.O. Box 11784
Baton Rouge, LA 70813