College of Sciences and Engineering Strategic Plan
Summary 2018 - 2023
The mission of the College of Sciences and Engineering (CSE) at Southern University and A&M College, a Historically Black, 1890 land-grant institution, is to provide STEM education for a diverse group of students, services to the community through teaching and research, and innovations necessary for CSE graduates to become productive, informed citizens prepared to meet the demands of the STEM driven, ever-changing global industry.
CORE VALUES STATEMENT
Consistent with the mission of Southern University and A&M College at Baton Rouge, the College of Sciences and Engineering is committed to providing high-quality education to its students in an effort to meet the needs of society. In performing the rigors of operating our programs and carrying out associated activities, we believe that several core values undergird this commitment and collectively form the guiding principles for our actions as a college. Moreover, we believe these values are reinforced within the college and are transferred as positive attributes to those who work with us in fulfilling our mission. These core values are:
- Innovation: We wholeheartedly recognize the value of innovative teaching, research and scholarly work, and therefore seek to ignite the creative STEM spark in every faculty, staff and student in the College.
- Diversity: CSE welcomes a diverse group of people and ideas as supported by Southern University and A&M College that is essential to providing quality education in a global interdependent society.
- Student Centered: We foster a student-first environment where we are dedicated to student learning and development. We recognize students as individuals and assist them in achieving their full potential.
- Collaboration: We build relationship for the good of the CSE programs, the University, the community, nation and the world.
- Service: We are dedicated to public and community service
- Scholarship: We foster a Quality Culture focused on research, analysis and Continuous Improvement
- Integrity: We conduct ourselves in an ethical manner and speak truthfully in the classroom, in our service, and in our research.
- Excellence: We not only challenge ourselves, we also challenge others to reach the greatest potential.
The vision of the Southern University College Sciences and Engineering is to be an effective, experienced-based instruction led by a CSE team committed to excellence in preparing students for success in STEM professions, through research, community services, and collaborations necessary to meet the demands of a global society.
STRATEGIC AREAS OF SIGNIFICANT RESEARCH
The College of Sciences and Engineering has identified four strategic areas of significant research focus for the next decade. Our goal is to maximize usage of our facilities and human resources in the areas that we have established capital with a track record of achievements. These research areas are:
- Computation, communication, and information,
- Advanced materials,
- Research enhanced STEM education
- Energy and the environment.
Much of the ongoing research in the college and future activities in the cited research areas, are closely aligned with the current national research agenda that focuses on collaborations, enhancing STEM education among diverse populations, global outreach and sustainable environments. Research in the College also aligns with Southern University’s strengths and priorities. The four areas we have selected as the focus of significant research are expected to strongly influence curriculum, facilities, and faculty hiring. The CSE team will also continue to strongly support existing research programs that fulfill its mission and goals.
STRATEGIC GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The goals supporting the College of Sciences and Engineering’s Mission and Vision and Southern University’s strategic plan Priorities are:
GOAL : Maintain an infrastructure to achieve academic and research goals.
OBJECTIVE [1A]: Enhance and expand utilization of existing CSE facilities.
OBJECTIVE [1B]: Maintain and expand high-quality and competitive instructional delivery systems.
GOAL : Establish and maintain high-quality academic, research, and support programs.
OBJECTIVE [2A]: Enhance the quality of existing undergraduate programs.
OBJECTIVE [2B]: Increase research and scholarly activities.
OBJECTIVE [2C]: Establish and maintain graduate programs in high-demand areas.
GOAL : Increase student outreach and success rates to nationally competitive levels.
OBJECTIVE [3A]: Increase college recruitment and retention.
OBJECTIVE [3B]: Enhance student outreach and mentoring effectiveness.
OBJECTIVE [3C]: Enhance effective teaching and learning processes.
OBJECTIVE [3D]: Increase student support from scholarships, internships, etc.
OBJECTIVE [3E]: Improve student performance on Departmental Comprehensive examinations.
GOAL : Improve the recruitment, development, and retention of high-quality faculty and staff.
OBJECTIVE [4A]: Recruit and retain faculty having experiences in teaching, research, and practice.
OBJECTIVE [4B]: Motivate and sustain faculty toward developing balance in their skill set.
OBJECTIVE [4C]: Motivate and sustain the professional development of staff.