Prospective Midshipmen

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your decision to join the Naval ROTC Unit at Southern University. Below you will find the instructions and forms that must be completed in order to start this Fall.

Medical Qualification

Your highest priority should be to complete the required DODMERB physical.  This is the most time-critical part of getting ready for the fall and should be scheduled as soon as possible in order to have time for remedial examinations or waivers, if necessary. Without satisfactory completion of your medical qualification, you will not be eligible to receive scholarship benefits. You should have received a detailed letter included in your scholarship acceptance package with instructions on how to schedule and complete your physical. If you have any questions or concerns about the DODMERB physical process, contact our Human Resources Assistant, Ms. Keokuk at (225) 771-4390 or by email at College program midshipmen are required to have their primary care physician complete a medical examination and medical history questionnaire in lieu of the DODMERB physical.

New Student Orientation

The New Student Orientation (NSO) is TBD. It is here you will be imparted with the basics of military orientation and drill and is the singular most influential time to set the stage for your future success. The links below provide critical information and checklists to prepare you for NSO. If you have any questions, contact Captain Hipolito Ozuna, or (225)-771-2898.


Required Documentation

All prospective Scholarship or College Program Basic Midshipmen must complete the NROTC required documents in order to formally join the Unit. These forms will facilitate your administrative check-in and ensure your enrollment into the program prior to your report date. To obtain the documents please email Human Resources Assistant Ms. Keokuk at .  She is the point of contact for all matters pertaining to enrollment documents.  Please read all instructions carefully, and ensure all forms are submitted in a timely manner.



Below are the cross registration forms in regards to Midshipmen that will be taking a course at a different University. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please contact Mrs. Milligan at



Southern University

Incoming Southern University freshmen need to apply for housing by submitting the Southern University Housing Application. Send a copy of your application to our University Liaison, Ms. Charlotte Milligan, by email at or by fax at (225) 774-3604. You will normally be placed in a dorm with another incoming NROTC midshipman. In-state students should move into their dorms on Southern University's Welcome Week. Out of state students should move into their dorms prior to attending Session 8 of JAG365. 

Louisiana State University

Incoming LSU Freshmen need to apply for housing at LSU midshipmen have the option of living on campus in the honors dorm with another incoming NROTC student at West Laville Hall. To live in West Laville, you must make your request directly to the LSU NROTC Housing Liaison, Ms. Lin Warmsley, by email at or by phone at (225) 578-8988. LSU freshmen will be able to move into their dorm room after the first day of New Student Orientation. LSU students should be prepared to pay a small fee per night until the official move-in date. Transporation will be provided to and from your dorm daily during New Student Orientation. LSU students are recommended to attend FOAP 8 prior to moving into their housing location. 

Financial Aid

Please note that the NROTC scholarship covers tuition, fees, and a book stipend of $375 per semester.  Traditionally and to date, Southern University has paid a portion of NROTC students' room and board as a gesture of support for the U.S. Armed Forces.  Due to the current economic conditions, it is prudent to anticipate that Southern may experience budget shortfalls that reduce or preclude the ability to cover room and board costs for NROTC students.  In the event that this occurs, the FAFSA and Pell Grant will be applied to room and board expenses.  It is critical that you do not accept any loans, federal Supplemental Educational Opportunities Grants (SEOG), or work study grants without approval from your NROTC advisor. As such, it is important to complete the below financial aid requirements. Complete the FAFSA (Financial Aid/Pell Grant) application process as soon as possible at Students and parents should apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) at Your PIN will serve as your electronic signature needed to process the FAFSA. If you are receiving aid for the first time, you must complete the FASFA. Students must file a FAFSA each year for eligibility consideration.

This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.