This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.

I agree

Undergraduate Admissions - Exceptions

Guidelines for Non-Resident Fee Exemptions

Southern University and A&M College intends to fully pursue the University's mission by strongly supporting its efforts of providing a high quality global educational experience to its students.  A full out-of-state fee waiver will be granted to any qualified incoming freshman who graduated from a high school from any state in the USA and who meets the following criteria:

  • Minimum high school GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 Scale
  • FAFSA on file with Southern University and A & M College

Any student who wishes to continue receiving the out-of state fee waiver beyond the initial academic year, which the waiver is awarded, must retain a full-time student with a minimum of 15 hours (non-developmental) course load per semester and maintain a cumulative minimum 2.5 GPA.

The Out-of-State Fee Waiver covers all qualified first-time freshman; effective Fall 2016; revised Spring 2019.


Undergraduate Students

A. Parent who has graduated and received a Bachelor's degree from the Southern University System campus at which the student is seeking the partial non-resident fee exemption.

1. Effective Fall 1998, students pursuing an undergraduate degree whose parents(s), received a Bachelor degree from Southern University at Baton Rouge are eligible to apply for exemption from the payment of fifty(50%) percent of the non-resident fee. To maintain eligibility for the exemption in each successive semester, the student must maintain at least a 2.3 grade point average. The applicant must submit the following to the Campus, certifying officer on or before the applicable deadline indicated herein;

  • copy of applicant birth certificate;
  • copy of parent diploma and/or transcript showing degree earned; and
  • any other documentation requested by the certifying officer of his/her designee.

2. Student applying for the exemption by virtue of adoption of applicant;

  • copy of court records verifying adoption of applicant;
  • copy of applicant birth certificate;
  • copy of parent diploma and/or transcript showing degree earned; and.any other documentation requested by the Campus, certifying officer or his/her designee.

B. Non-Resident Athletic Scholarship Recipient Exemption
A student in the Southern University System who is granted an athletic scholarship, and who is not a resident of this state, shall not be charged or required to pay any tuition or fees in an amount in excess of that which is charged to a student who is a resident of the state of Louisiana.

C. Non-Resident Participant in the National Student Exchange Program
At Southern University institutions that participate in the National Student Exchange (NSE) Program, the following provision shall be applicable: an exchange student from a participating out-of-state university who enrolls at a Southern University System NSE institution and who pays in-state tuition at his/her home campus and opts to pay his/her fees at Southern University NSE institution will be exempt from the payment of non-resident fees for a maximum of two (2) consecutive semesters. Exemption from payment of the non-resident fee for a longer period requires the approval of all appropriate parties to the NSE Program agreement and Southern University.

Graduate Students

A non-resident graduate student who is selected to serve as a Graduate Assistant at Southern University may be eligible for a full or partial exemption of his/her non-resident fees. The dean of the graduate school or his designee must certify eligibility for exemption. The following must be submitted by the student:

1. A letter from the individual department or college to the Dean of the Graduate School, verifying that the student has been awarded a graduate assistantship;

2. A letter from the dean of the Graduate School to the certifying officer, verifying that the applicant meets eligibility requirements and is approved for appointment as a Graduate Assistant.

3. If the student is a resident alien, the permanent Resident Alien Card (Green Card), must be submitted to the Graduate School for copying, and

4. Any other documentation requested by the Dean of the Graduate School or the Campus' certifying officer or their designees.