Executive Master of Science in Criminal Justice
The Mandela College of Government and Social Science
The Department of Public Administration is a part of the Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences. Mandela College is the only College of Government in the State of Louisiana and its mission is to educate men and women who will engage in an uncompromising pursuit of justice and equality.
Department of Criminal Justice
The Department of Criminal Justice offers the online Executive Master of Science in Criminal Justice (EMCJ). This fully online degree program is accelerated and designed to be completed in one year. A primary objective of this executive program is the advancement of professionalism and scholarship in the Criminal Justice profession. The EMCJ program provides students with advanced knowledge, research and analytical skills, which contribute to their professional development. Upon completion of the program, graduates possess the applied and theoretical knowledge, and skills, which enable them to perform effectively in leadership roles in law enforcement, community-based corrections, prisons, the juvenile justice system, private security organizations, and in public policy agencies.
The program is suitable for individuals who want:
- to pursue agency promotion and career advancement.
- to enter the criminal justice profession for the first time.
- to teach at the collegiate level.
- to pursue a doctoral degree in Criminal Justice or related area.
- to attend law school.
100% Online Course Delivery
The courses in the program are delivered fully online via the Moodle, the learning management system (LMS). Courses are taught in eight-week sessions for a total of eight sessions. An academic advisor is available to assist with course selection and registration. To provide students with the flexibility to plan work schedules, family and community events, and financial resources, all courses in the program are scheduled in the rotation included in the Executive Master of Science in Criminal Justice Plan of Study.
Why Choose Southern's EMCJ Online Degree
At Southern University Online, we recognize the unique position of working professionals who want to earn an advanced degree. We've placed a priority on reducing the time to completion, credit for work experience, and program costs.
- Accelerated: only eight sessions
- GRE Scores: waived
- Agency Academy Credit: up to 6 SCH
The degree will be awarded to students who satisfactorily complete the 36 semester credit hours. The requirements are:
- 30 semester credit hours of core classes
- 6 semester credit hours of elective classes
Applying to the Program
Applications to the online graduate programs are processed by the Department and the Graduate School. To apply, complete the steps below:
- Apply using the online application.
- Pay the $25 graduate application fee.
- Submit an official transcript showing an earned baccalaureate degree.
- Submit any additional documents required by the program.
Additional Admissions Requirements
In addition to completing the steps to apply for graduate admission, applicants must meet the following additional criteria:
- minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.70.
- submit a current resume.
- submit a Statement of Purpose, which includes professional career objectives.