Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology
The Mandela College of Government and Social Science
The Department of Public Administration is a part of the Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences. Mandela College is the only College of Government in the State of Louisiana and its mission is to educate men and women who will engage in an uncompromising pursuit of justice and equality.
Department of Psychology
The Department of Psychology is a part of the Nelson Mandela College of Government and Social Sciences. The Psychology program and its courses are designed to foster an understanding of behavior and mental processes. The undergraduate degree program leads to the Bachelor of Science in Psychology. Students are engaged in coursework that is rigorous and comprehensive. Upon completion of the degree requirements, students are prepared for graduate school or professional work in the field.
100% Online Course Delivery
The courses in the program are delivered fully online via the Moodle, the learning management system (LMS). Courses are taught in eight-week sessions for a total of eight sessions. An academic advisor is available to assist with course selection and registration. To provide students with the flexibility to plan work schedules, family and community events, and financial resources, all courses in the program are scheduled in the rotation included in the Online Bachelor of Science in Psychology Plan of Study.
Why Choose Southern's Online Psychology Degree
- Accelerated: eight-week mini sessions and up to 21 semester credit hours each semester.
- Affordable: tuition is competitive with other online degree programs
- Academic Advisor:personal advisor to assist with matriculation and graduation planning
- Specialized Study Options: (1) Prevention, and (2) Substance Abuse Counseling specialized study tracks may lead to certification in both areas. The department is an approved site to offer substance abuse and prevention course credit.
Honor Society: eligible students maybe inducted into Psi Chi, the National Psychology Honor Society.
The Bachelor of Science in Psychology is awarded to students who satisfactorily complete the requirements. To view the course rotation schedule, view the Online Psychology Plan of Study and to view Psychology course descriptions, refer to the University Catalog.
- 60 semester credit hours of general education requirements.
- All Mandela College of Government and Social Science requirements
- 45 semester credit hours in psychology courses, including 15 hours of psychology electives
- 15 semester credit hours of free electives
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all required major core courses.
Tuition and Fees
Eligible students may receive financial aid to help cover the cost of tuition. For more information on paying for your education, visit the Office of Financial Aid and information on the Tuition and Fees on the Southern University Online webpage.
To apply, submit the online application and pay the $25 application fee. For specific requirements related to ACT Scores and GPA consult the Undergraduate Admissions Fact Sheet. For more information on transfer admission, refer tto the Southern University Online Admissions webpage.
Contacts For More Information and Questions
|Online Admissions||Nelson Mandela College||Online Student Services|
Southern University Online
Coordinator Online Programs
Continuing Student Advisor
Crystal D. Taylor
New Student Advisor
Southern University Online