ETS Program Overview
Educational Talent Search (ETS), one of the pre-college “TRIO” programs, federally sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education, create as part of the Higher Education Act of 1965. TALENT SEARCH joined Upward Bound, which emerged from the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964. In 1968, Student Special Services, now known as Student Support Services, was authorized. The term “TRIO” was coined to describe these programs.
Housed on the campus of Southern University at Baton Rouge for fifty years, TRIO Educational TALENT SEARCH has continued to provide program services to students of South Central Louisiana. Two Talent Search programs are funded to address the complex needs of participants in the target areas during the current funding cycle 2016-2021.
Educational TALENT SEARCH, an informational and preparatory enrichment program, identifies and assist low-income and first-generation individuals (aged 11-27 and/or grades 6th – 12th) who have the academic potentials, but lack adequate preparation needed to succeed in secondary school and/or postsecondary programs. The program provides academic, career, personal-social, and financial counseling to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and continue on to complete their college education or career training program. ETS assists participants in obtaining financial aid for college or career programs along with completing one postsecondary application process. The program’s goals are to generate skills and motivation necessary for participants to complete secondary school in the standard four years and postsecondary education programs in six years.
ETS Services and Activities
- College and Career preparation
- Academic/Study Skills development (Boot Camps)
- ACT Interpretation and Motivation (Explore, Plan, The ACT)
- Self-development for self-reliance, leadership and character
- Core 4 course selection advisement
- Financial aid opportunities (FAFSA AND SCHOLARSHIPS!!!)
- Financial planning and literacy
- Interactive workbooks/technology for developing and achieving goals
- “Xternships” (Partnering- off-campus educational and cultural training experiences)
- College, Career, and Cultural Awareness trips, tours, and events
There is no cost to families of students who are admitted to participate in the Southern University and A & M College Educational Talent Search Programs.