This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.

I agree

Residency/Student Forms

Effective July 1, 2019, the Louisiana State Department of Education (LDOE) requires that all teacher candidates complete a two-semester (consecutive) year-long teacher residency (Residency I and Residency II).


A candidate in the year-long teacher residency (Residency I and Residency II) will be supervised in all residency clinical experiences by a team comprised of the Residency Office, the school-based mentor teacher, the residency school site principal or designee, and the SUBR. faculty member.


Teacher candidates must meet all requirements as outlined below prior to receiving approval from the Office of Teacher Residency to start Teacher Residency I.


  • Attempt all parts of the PRAXIS II tests (Content Knowledge and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)).
  • Complete the Residency I application by the established deadline during the semester prior to the start of (Teacher Residency I).
  • Attend the mandatory Residency I meeting.
  • Apply for a valid resident teacher certificate. 
  • The resident teacher certificate is valid for one school year and allows a candidate to simultaneously serve as a paid substitute teacher for up to ten days per semester. The hours accrued during the days of serving as a substitute teacher will be counted towards the hours required for Residency I. NOTE: The application for the resident teacher certificate will be completed at the mandatory Residency I meeting.
  • Have a minimum 2.5 overall GPA (includes both transfer GPA and institutional GPA) and a minimum 2.5 overall major GPA (includes both the required professional education coursework and the required content area coursework).
  • Enroll in (Teacher Residency I) and all additional required coursework with the exception of Teacher Residency II.
  • Submit to the Office of Residency  proof of affiliation with a professional educational organization offering education liability insurance, such as A+PEL, LAE, LAHPERD, Kappa Delta Pi, etc.